Chapter 6

REEVES SAT ON THE BLEACHERS in the yard. He was spotted with lots of peeling scars on his face, after his week-long recovery from his chickenpox at the Infirmary. He was chatting with his newfound 'cellie' friends outside Wesleyan, whom he has grown closer over the years...

Behind him was the weekly Sunday mass conducted by the monk-priest Michael, on a makeshift altar at the far corner of the prison yard in the Whites' fenced area.

Reeves has remained as a doubter since his Wesleyan days — he did not jump with the rest into the frenzy religious bandwagon that had caught up pro-active with most of the Black and White races of the inmates in Tombscradle, who flocked themselves to attend the Sunday mass.

Troy Norton and Truman Robert were the ones present with him in the big-yard that morning at their corner. They were his new circle of free-male friends since he was brought into the penitentiary five years ago.

He was under isolation when he first arrived — he stayed in the 'heatwave' row for a month before he was released into the gen-pop — after they cleared him off as a 'G.N.C.' Since then, Reeves' cell was next to theirs on the third tier of White inmates' C Block. The two 'ace deuces' became close to him since they heard of the bravado escape attempt that Reeves had pulled in Wesleyan before he was captured with Joe...

Despite Reeves trying to be there for him, but Joe was no longer close to him. Since their arrival in Tombscradle, Joe had kept to himself for a few months and he soon suffered from depression while adjusting from his school environment to prison. Reeves was glad to see him later in the prison's med-line getting his treatment — as there were many cases of illing White-lop orphans who were driven to suicide in their failure of adapting to the prison life.

Finally, like birds of a feather, Joe regrouped with the Wesleyan coterie. Joe had then adjusted well with the rest of the obstinate troublemakers' circle of Kiki and Hank — into their attempt, to make the Wesleyans to be known as one of the majority among the rest of the other White gangbangers' minor groups, which formed their own strong-corners in Tombscradle in the years later.

The clique that Reeves was in was seen by those new White gangs as the weak-corner — that got nothing coming in their presence in prison. But, Reeves was not bothered — he would rather 'eight-ball' with these two new friends instead, whose lives brought more perspective sense to him — and he needed them too...

Troy Norton was an ardour highbrow computer hacker back then in his school — he defaced some government websites, and that landed him here in Tombscradle — where at a present environment, none of the inmates was given any parchment book to read in their prison stay, and let alone access to a computer.

Reeves' other prison-buddy was Truman Robert who was also known inside the walls as True Bob — a half-White and half-Cherokee Native — a wanderer since the age of ten, ever since he ran away from the Indian reservations. He was an Argonaut ardent traveller at heart — the vagrant, crossroader had visited most of the states and cities in the West Coast. It was until the rounder was caught for shoplifting at a mart — and he was then sent over to Tombscradle, to be part of the helots of orphans in the government's semen milking program.

For the last five years in Tombscradle, Reeves the former Wesleyan had theoretically learned how to operate and survive — by listening and getting into discussions to view the perspective of both of his friends' life stories and experiences.

He also needed to in-cooperate that isosceles knowledge of survival out in the 'other place' once he hailed his strength from his chicken-pox recovery — and decided that it was the precise time to jump the prison wall alone by himself — and to begin his own hegira quest to find Laura Jensen...