Chapter 3

IT WAS EARLY ON THE THIRD MORNING, where a group of twenty White boys in orange prison jumpsuits were gathering at the staging area. The Headbull was calling out their names from a clipboard — Reeves was among the ex-Wesleyan troublemaking class-clowns — Kiki-boy and Hank. He rarely spoke to them then, and even so now. Reeves later learned the calumny that those two morons had also spread rumours about his escape attempted with Joe — as the cause of the Wesleyan boys being condemned into Tombscradle.

The Wesleyans seem to be ebullience about the mystifying prison-project that they were about to partake, in which, nobody had yet been briefed about its details His mind was also now too preoccupied with what the Washington's pilot project was about to happen once they reached the furthest medium-sized building, which the guards referred as the Auditorium. Reeves observed earlier, where a score of inmates that were leaving that building, and they were heading back to the staging area at the yard in a slow trot — accompanied by two armed guards, running along behind them.

Headbull Anderson called the name of one of the monk-boy behind him. Everyone was baffled when Doran stepped in to join the rest while wearing his blanket on top of his orange 'peel.'

Doran has altered the blanket from his cell to fit like a monk-robe — sacrificing the few of the rare amenities a prisoner could own — many other boys from the abbey would then follow his arcane action in later weeks, and they all stood out apart as monks in the big-yard — from the rest of the other inmates in Tombscradle.

The effectuated first-time sight of seeing Doran wrapped in a blanket was erroneous to Anderson. She pulled out her baton and gibed out ...

"What fucking fashion is this? Who do you think you fucking are, you man-bitch — are you now Paris-fucking-Hilton? What is this — explain to me now?"

Reeves sensed the monk was dissident and had an aberrant 'man on a mission' impression of a being since he met him — Reeves now anticipated trouble — but, hoped the bald-headed boy will not do anything foolish — like attack the senior guard as he did before in the Convent...

The bald-pated monk boldly replied back to Anderson...

"This is how my attire has been all my life at the monastery, Sir."

"But damn it, you have damaged prison-issued property, you fucking idiot — remove it now!"

But Doran beseeched further...

"Please Sir, I am trained to be a Catholic priest — let me be dressed in this manner —- which is appropriate to the sanctity of my Faith."

"Catholic priest, hah? (That is great), wear that shit then — for where you are going now, some Holy Water is needed there."

The guards beside Doran guffawed to the iconoclast Anderson — while the rest of the gathered boys looked equally puzzled for not getting the punch-line of the laughing women guards. The admissible Headbull Anderson was practically wiping her tears from her laughing out aloud. She turned to face her two equally amused guards and said...

"Go, take these fuckers to Auditorium and update me later on what went on there." She burst into snorting chortles again — foreboding the surprise that awaited the gullible monk.

Reeves and Doran ran abreast slowly with the score of White boys — two armed guards trailing from behind until they reached the Auditorium...

*

The inside of the edifice was a dark room with a single beam of light in the centre where a stern, tall nurse stood alongside with a very short, butch guard — Corporal Vinnie — whom everyone nicknamed the ribald pint-sized guard later as the 'Evil Midget' — because the nanus in the uniform was of the same height and built as most of the twelve-year-old boys in prison, but, she was vociferous — who walked around whipping a Calamus rotang cane in the air — it was tenable enough to scare the boys, and it also made up for the midget's lack of stature.