Chapter 2

MARLIN STOOD IN A BUSY STREET CORNER in Washington, wearing a hooded jacket. His eyes peered at all of the passing faces of women — and he was especially wary, of any Intersexuals' presence. Finally, he saw who he had waited for — seeing a blond-dyed haired, Japanese girl who was running towards him. She was also delighted to see her boyfriend, and she called out to him in Japanese. They hugged and kissed...

"Hey Marlin, you came! It has been a long time since we both went out together. Come, let's take a cab now, and go to the arcade in Kenzu Plaza — my friends say that they have got new arrivals of game machines from Japan."

"No Suki, it is too risky."

"Why not?" she replied while they both stepped into the busy pedestrian crossing, Marlin looked out back at the oncoming faces, which were crossing them...

"Too many Asians hang out at Kenzu — and somebody will recognize us both, and inform Ken."

Suki was disgruntled. "It is always Ken with you — why are you so afraid of him? I know you can kick his ass."

He raised his voice, reminded her again like the many times before — to that rich and naive girl — that it was not safe to be spotted together in public...

"Hey, you stupid cousin is the son of the Ambassador — and he can do lots of dirty things behind my back to get me in trouble. Now, even my guardian Dr Morris knows about us both — and I have to lie low and play things by her book for a while — here, wear my cap."

Suki was also aware that her boyfriend was being very cautious lately — and also, he had lots of discreet secrets that he did not speak about to her — like the phone calls he occasionally received, where he spoke in English — to someone, whom he addressed the caller as Mother.

Suki tugged her blond hair into the baseball cap — and she rested her head on Marlin's arm while they stroll...

"You are right, dear, we lie low then — so, where are we going now?"

"Anywhere that is safe," Marlin then pointed at a building, "How about that mall?"

"What's interesting there?"

"I don't know, never been there too — we can walk around a bit, eat some pizza and then catch a movie or something that suits your fancy." He laughed — but his suggestions were not galvanizing enough, for Suki's canty, extrovert-self — she pestered...

"Boring! I can stream movies at home, I am here to be with you — let's do something really fun like we always used to do in Kenzu."

Marlin teased by whispering into her ears. "Guess what is fun, we can kiss inside the dark cinema, and I know you will like that, yes, yes?" She bashfully laughed aloud. "Yes, but don't eat any stinky Italian Gorgonzola cheese pizza — or else, I will throw up inside your mouth."

*

Shorty the Japanese boy was following them from across the street, and his cell phone rang...

"You are right, Saturo — they are so sneaky. He is with Suki now, and they are heading towards a White-man's mall. Come quick, guys — we can corner him there."

*

Suki removed the cap in an upmarket-teen department store, and placed a dress from a hanger on herself and looked at the long mirror. Marlin stood behind, gambolling at her in Japanese. Two teenage, White girls who were nearby, kept gawking at them — and one of them bitched...

"Look at that hot freak, he is going out with a Jappie — what's wrong with that dick, can't he get a better skank elsewhere?"

"The bitch even dyed her hair blond to bait her fish. Hey, see that look — they both are speaking in Japanese — it is like an anime cartoon!"