Chapter (9): A Mouse In The House

Avery, April and Steve were in class, having their lecture which was so boring that Steve put his head against the desk and April was chewing her gum and Avery was checking her nails.

"That's all for today. Class dismissed" said the professor as he sat back on his seat and the class started to leave.

They walked down the hallway and reached the parking lot. Avery's mind was having a wicked plan to get rid of Danni but she knew that her parents won't let Danni go that easily. She was skillful and they won't fire her because she wants too and also her parents were busy with their arguments and now isn't the time.

"Earth to Avery" She waved her hands in front of her.

"Huh? Sorry, I spaced out for a sec"

"Yeah, you've been like that since the morning" said Steve.

"... I'm just thinking about my parents" she said sadly and April put an arm around her shoulder and gave it a small squeeze. "I don't get it, if they hate each other then why not ask for divorce?"

"Look, Ave we don't know what's really going on between them maybe there is more to the story" said Steve. "Maybe they don't want to split up or ask for divorce in the first place... just give them some time and you'll know, okay?"

She nodded. "So, what are you guys gonna do now?"

"I'm catching up with some old friends since I've been away for a while" said Steve.

"And I'm staying with my aunt for a couple of days, she's been sick for a while and she needs someone to take care of her"

"She is still tired?"

"Yeah" She sighed. "She was out of the surgery today and my mom is out of town so..."

"Okay then. Say hi for me will you?"

"I will"

Each one of them took a separate way and she drove off to her home. Her parents weren't home yet and she headed to the bathroom to take a shower, a hot one. The water condensed into droplets and the steam was sensed as the drops of water ran through her body and her hair. She stepped out of the shower, wrapped a towel around her body and went to her room. She ruffled through her wardrobe for clothes and found something small and gray with mustache.

"Is that a..." Her eyes grew wide. "AAAAAAA!" She screamed.

*****************************

Danni parked her vespa, took off her helmet and as she was about to turn the door knob, she heard someone scream. She opened the door quickly and followed the sound which was coming from upstairs, from Avery's room.

******************************

Avery kept screaming then she jumped on the bed when the mouse came out of her wardrobe doing his little sound and he stood still in its place rubbing its little noise. The door burst open and Danni's eyes locked with Avery for a split second but then looked at her when she saw her in a towel and only a towel.

"Are you gonna stand there and do nothing?" she said clutching into her towel. "Get this thing out of my room!" She yelled pointing at the mouse.

"Whoa!" she said. "Unexpected" She slowly closed the door while her eyes were on the mouse. "Stay still, okay?"

She nodded and whispered. "Get it out"

She stepped closer to the mouse. "Hey little guy" she said softly.

"Are you to talking with it?"

"Shh" She stepped closer and tried to look for something to catch it with it. She had a crazy idea. "Hey, hand me your towel" she said softly.

"What?! Are you insane?"

"Not as much as you are" She mumbled.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. Just hand me your towel unless if you want that mouse to sleep next to you at night" She joked.

"Close your eyes"

She heard some ruffling sounds so she closed her eyes then reopened them, finding Avery wrapped the blankets around her body instead of the towel and quietly and gently handed her the towel. Danni took it from here then stepped closer to the mouse holding the towel in both hands waiting for the moment she will catch it. The mouse sensed that and started to run away as Danni tried to catch it with the towel. Avery screamed again and Danni chased the mouse in the room till she somehow made it reach for the window and it got out of it on its own.

"Well, at least it's out"

"Did it leave?" she asked afraid.

"Yeah it did" She smirked and realized that she was still holding the towel. "Here you can have this back" She handed her the towel.

"No thanks, just throw it away" She noticed the look on Danni's face, it was her usual smug face. "What are you looking at?" she asked annoyed. "Get out!"

She was coming down from the bed but she slipped because of her long blanket and fell on Danni who held her in her arms before she could completely fall on the ground. Their faces were mere inches apart and the lock of the eye was burning especially Danni's eyes.

"Don't be so clingy to me" said Danni flirtatiously with a soft voice, sending chills down Avery's spine. "Or you might like it too much"

"W-What?"

She asked softly then the realization hit her and she once again pushed her away and clutched more to the blanket. "Get out!" she said sternly and Danni walked past her wearing her usual smirk and got out of the room.

Avery was still in her place with the blanket wrapped around her body. She felt shy and feverish from what was about to happen. Danni flirted with her again and she was about to fall for it but she collected herself again.

Danni changed her clothes and went to the kitchen helping Abigail and Robert to prepare the dinner but her mind was occupied with something... someone she should see but she knows that she was too busy right now. Abigail noticed her silence so she pushed her lightly with her hips.

"What's on your mind?"

"... Stuff. Work stuff to be more specific"

"Is it just work?" She smirked.

"Yeah what else would it be?"

"You tell me"

"It's nothing Abby, I was just remembering someone"

"Oh! An old love"

She chuckled. "No, it's not about love. I mean yeah it's love but not that kind of love... it is someone who is dear to me"

"I'm sure they appreciate your love for them" she said sweetly patting her back.

"Thanks Abby, I hope what I'm doing will be enough"

****************************

They were having dinner but without Fred, he was busy and will stay in the office for a few hours, Avery knows that, that was not the real reason why he wasn't home tonight. After finishing dinner her mom didn't like her silence or her lost appetite.

"Tell me Avery what's on your mind?"

"... Everything... Life... College... You and dad fighting"

"We aren't fighting honey"

"Yes you are. Every night, I can hear you!" She leaned her back against the chair and looked down. "Mom, what's really going on? Are you and dad getting a divorce?"

Her mom averted her eyes from her not able to look at her daughter and Avery knew the answer to the question "You are getting a divorce, aren't you? Is that is?" she said softly and sadly and her mother didn't answer but lowered her head. She stood up and went to her room closing the door shut.