Chapter (47): Hidden Eyes

The same night Avery was going to have dinner with her mom but it got postponed for an hour till the guest arrives and Avery had no idea who the guests were.

"Mom, come on! Tell me who is coming? Is it dad?"

"No"

"Carter?"

"No"

"Harper?"

She laughed lightly at her daughter. "That certainly rhymed but no. It's not Harper either. It's her son, Rick"

"Rick?"

"Yes. I invited him over to have dinner with us. Is that a problem?"

"No, it's just it never occurred to me that it was... Rick"

"Who did you expect?"

"I don't know... Carter maybe? He's your boyfriend so."

The doorbell rang and Meredith stood up smoothing her outfit and giving her daughter a smile.

"I guess our guest has arrived"

She went and opened the door for Rick and Avery heard their muffled voices getting louder as they walked towards the dining room where she was.

"Hi, Avery" he said as he beamed at her.

"Hey" She smiled and saw him holding flowers.

"This is for you Mrs. Carlisle. For the lovely invitation" said Rick, handing Meredith the bouquet and she gasped in amazement.

"Oh, thank you, dear. Why don't you have a seat while I go put these in the water?"

"Sure" He nodded with a smile.

Meredith left the room and Rick turned to Avery with a polite smile. She smiled back at him and motioned for him to come and sit.

"So... How are things?" he said.

"Things are good" she said sadly.

"You sure? You seem hesitant"

"Yeah" She sighed. "Everything is fine"

"Is it your boyfriend?"

She turned to him. "Something like that... We had this fight... we're good now but things are awkward between us so..." She looked down, fiddling with the table cloth between her fingers. "Did something like that happened to you before?"

"Of course"

"And what did you do?"

"I tried to talk to her but she refused and then we broke up"

"Jeez! Thanks for the boost!" She chuckled and hit him playfully.

"Seriously that's what happened but I think it was for the best"

"Why?"

"Because if we hadn't broken up at that time, I wouldn't be able to have those certain feelings for this special person"

"So, there is someone, huh" She smiled.

"You can say so" He held her gaze for 5 seconds until her mother came back.

"The dinner will be ready in 10 minutes" she said with a wide smile when she spotted Rick glancing at Avery.

Danni finished her masterpiece and went outside the kitchen to serve them the tasty food. She didn't know that the guest was Rick, so when she saw him looking at Avery and making her laugh, she felt insecure and her blood was boiling but she contained it.