Chapter (19): Change Of Heart

Danni woke up the next morning feeling hopeful and optimistic, her nightmare is soon going to be over because of Avery's help. She admitted to herself that it was unexpected to see Avery's good side, and that made her heart soften a bit towards her and she owes her big time for her generosity. Danni went to her wardrobe, quickly got dressed and left the apartment headed for her house, parked her vespa and waited for Avery to come down and soon Avery came downstairs and met Danni with a smile that Danni didn't expect, Avery does have a really beautiful smile that showed her dimples.

"Hey" said Avery.

"H-Hey"

"Ready?"

"Yeah"

"We will take my car" she said as she turned around to the driver's seat and Danni went to the passenger's seat.

"You okay?" asked Danni as Avery turned on the engine and started to drive.

She chuckled. "Yeah, why?"

She shrugged. "You are being extra nice, like... you literally smiled at me and I'm riding your expensive BMW" she chuckled nervously.

"I do smile, I'm not a robot"

"I know you aren't a robot but it's not like you to treat me that... good and smile at me, because at the house whenever you see me, you would be... a grumpy girl"

"Look, Danni" She sighed. "I know we started on the wrong foot. I was mean to you since the first time we met and I tried to get rid of you by making you hate me and quit, but I'm offering peace now and if you don't like it, I understand"

"No, no I actually like this version of you" she said as she turned to look at her. "So, is it a new beginning for us?" she asked smiling.

Avery slowed down the car as she parked in front of the hospital and looked at Danni. "Yes, it is" She smiled at her.

******************************

They entered the hospital and Danni spotted her uncle at the front desk talking to the nurse, Avery followed her and Danni and the man hugged.

"Uncle Josh this is Avery; Avery this is my uncle"

"Hello, nice to meet you" she said shyly.

"Nice to meet you too and thank you so much for doing this, you really shouldn't have"

"It's okay, I'm glad I could help"

"You talked to the doctor?" asked Danni.

"I did and he is getting ready, he also said we could talk to Ben before they start"

"Okay" She started moving but when she realized that Avery was at the front desk, she went to her. "Come on, you are coming too"

"Oh no, I don't want to intrude" she said.

"Please he will be happy to see you again, I'm sure" She pleaded her with her eyes.

"Alright"

They went to the elevator and reached the fourth floor, the elevator door opened and they stepped out, headed to Ben's room. Danni entered and saw her brother hugging his new stuffed animal and when he saw her he gave her his big smile.

"Hey champ" she said as she hugged him tightly. "How are you?"

"Good" He smiled.

"Do you remember Avery?" She pointed at her.

"Yes, the pretty girl" he said and Avery chuckled.

"Thank you" she said to Ben.

"So, is it time?" he asked as his face turned sad and looked at Danni.

"Yeah" She looked at him and Uncle Josh left the room to talk with the doctor outside. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy that you'll have a good heart?" She held his little hand and his eyes turned watery.

"What if I don't love you with the good heart?" he asked as a tear rolled down his cheek and she quickly sat beside him on the bed wiping away his tears with her thumb and Avery's eyes turned glassy too and she quickly blinked back her tears.

"No. No, who told you that? You'll still love me, just because you'll have a good healthy heart that doesn't mean you'll not love the people you loved before"

"Yeah" Avery stepped into the conversation "When you truly love someone, Ben, you love them with everything you got not just your heart" She pointed at her heart and Danni looked at her with admiration. "You got it?" she asked softly and he nodded wiping his tears.

"Danni, it's time" said Josh.

"Okay, listen champ, we are gonna be waiting for you here and everything will be finished before you know it like I promised you"

"Okay"

"Alright"

She kissed his forehead and lingered there for a moment, whispering in his hair that she loves him before pulling away. The doctor and the nurse came taking him with them to the operation room and Danni sat in the room scared and she felt a soft hand on her shoulder squeezing it.

"He is gonna be okay" said Avery softly.

Danni sighed and looked back at the operation's room door one last time. "... I hope so"