Chapter (50): The Yellow Card

The same night, Danni woke up in the middle of the night on the sound of sniffling beside her. She opened her eyes slowly and adjusted her eyesight and saw Avery hiding her face under the pillow with a sniffling and crying sound and a trembling body. Danni sat up on the bed and touched Avery's shoulder, making her know that she is there for her. She pulled from under the pillow and looked at Danni with wet face and red eyes from crying.

"Sorry... I didn't mean to wake you up" she said sniffling and drying her eyes from crying with the back of her hand.

Danni hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek then pulled away and brushed her thumb over her cheeks, wiping away her tears.

"It's okay" she said softly.

"I couldn't sleep"

"I know" She cupped her face but Avery was looking down. "Hey... look at me" She looked at her with hurt in her eyes that were full of tears. "I promise you... everything is going to be okay. You said that to me once... when Ben was going under a life or death surgery. It's going to be okay. Your nightmare will be over soon"

Avery nodded with a small smile and Danni pulled her in for a hug and kissed the top of her head. Avery clutched more into Danni and she began to calm down when Danni whispered 'I love you' over and over again in her ear. After an hour they both gave up to sleep this time with Avery's head on her shoulder and Danni's arm wrapped protectively around her.

In the next morning, Danni woke up before Avery, giving her a glance and she was still asleep and tired from all the crying. She got out of the bed and went to the kitchen preparing the breakfast for Ben and Avery. An hour later, Josh arrived and he was having his morning coffee with Danni on the dining table.

"Avery is here" she said sipping her coffee.

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows. "Good because you two need each other now"

"Yeah" she said looking at her coffee, forming her lips into a thin line.

"What's wrong?" he asked concerned.

"... She cried last night... a lot. I think that this was all my fault. I should've kept my distance away from her or at least gave my relationship with Chloe a try"

"Hey, hey... It's not your fault that you fell in love with an amazing girl as Avery, okay? Don't blame yourself for what's happening to both of you. If it's anyone's fault it's her parents', they are the ones who aren't accepting her for who she is. She needs you by her side now so don't give up on her, alright?"

She nodded and Ben emerged from the room looking ready for school with his backpack.

"Hey, buddy" said Danni.

"Hey" He gave her a hug.

"Your lunch and your medicines. You're good to go"

He nodded. "Is Avery sleeping?"

"Hmm... yes"

"Can I see her before I go? I won't make noise; I promise"

She looked at the time and then at her uncle who gave her a nod and a smile then she turned to Ben.

"Sure but only for a minute"

"Okay" He smiled.

They headed to the bedroom and when Danni opened the door, they saw Avery sitting on the bed with the phone in her hand. Ben grinned and went running to her and she beamed when he jumped in her embrace.

"Morning, little man" she said ruffling his hair.

"Morning" he said.

"Going to school?"