Chapter (52): Breaking The Promise

A few months later, Avery moved on in her life and was prepared for her exams. Getting ready to have a new life without love. April was concerned about Avery's state of heart; she wants to see her friend happy in a relationship again but Avery kept telling her that she doesn't need love or a relationship. Steve kept Danni's secret but it was hard for him to suppress something huge like this from April and Avery but a promise is a promise.

As for Fred he came back from his trip and seeing his daughter in this condition made his heart ache but he was standing with his wife's opinion against homosexuals. As much as he despises the gays, he couldn't endure seeing his daughter's heart broken and her stoic look every day and night and her fake smile drawn upon her lips. He was wondering if he accepted her relationship with Danni, things would have been different for them and for their daughter but it was too late for that since the red head was shutting herself out from everything around her.

Rick told Harper about his attraction towards Avery and about what he saw and did. As much as she loves her son, she rebuked him from being this low to do something like this and he already regretted his deed after Avery's outburst on him before.

Danni moved on too in her life but a part of her misses the presence of red head. Avery made her different in so many ways, more hopeful. Josh and Ben could tell that despite she smiles to them every time she sees them; they see her heart inside starts to cry and break.

Steve and April were studying together at Avery's house. They were having their finals starting from the next day. They were taking a break from studying and Avery went outside talking on the phone with a relative. Steve was biting his nails nervously, staring at the brown desk and April noticed his weird attitude in the past few weeks.

"Steve... stop biting your nails" She chuckled, placing the pen down and grabbing his wrist. "I know you are nervous. We all are. Finals are pain in the ass"

"I'm. I'm nervous. Yes... because of the finals" He adjusted his glasses up to his nose and swallowed.

"Babe, come on. You are the smartest one here. Since when are you so nervous like that?"

"I wasn't myself the last few days. Sorry"

"Is there something bothering you?" She squeezed his shoulder.

"April... there is something you should know. I should've told you once I knew this but I promised that person not to say a word about it. I can't keep that secret anymore. I swear I'm gonna explode any moment" He covered his face with his palms and rubbed it before looking back at her.

She frowned. "You can tell me anything"

He nodded. "But stay calm, okay?"

She stared at him for a moment before nodding and replying softly. "Alright"

"... Danni didn't break up with Avery because she stopped loving her. There is something else that broke them apart"

"What?" Her frown deepened.

"Yes. Just hear me out" He wriggled his hands nervously before moving closer to her. "Avery's mom threatened Danni to hurt Avery by cutting her off of college and from everything..."

He filled her in with what happened and April closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Why are you telling me this and not Avery?"

"I-I don't know. But I couldn't keep that secret from you. I wanted to tell Avery so bad but that would ruin her relationship with her mom, so I kept my mouth shut"

The whole time once he began to tell April the story, someone overheard their conversation without them knowing through the ajar door.

******************************