Chapter (49): Sweet As Sugar

Avery took off with April to the beach and they both were sitting inside the car with Avery clutching the steering wheel.

"Ave, calm down. It's all gonna be alright. I promise" She squeezed her shoulder.

"I don't know about that. Danni isn't returning my calls and Rick turns out to be an asshole and my mom... my mom rejected me in her own way" She sniffled.

"Just give her some time. She just didn't expect from you to be her gay daughter and it's hard on her"

"What about Danni? I mean she fired her because she is with me"

"Look, I'm sure Danni can handle herself about losing her job and I'm sure that she needs you now, but at the same time she is being away from you because it's hard for her to process everything. She needs time and space"

She nodded. "I'm sure mom has just told dad and he's panicking too"

"Why don't you call Carter?"

"Why?"

"Because he was supportive to you when you first told him. Talk to him and tell him what happened. Maybe he will change your mom's heart about the situation"

"Okay... okay, but first I need to see Danni"

**********************************

"What's up my nephew?" said Josh.

"... I just got fired"

"What? Why?"

"Avery's mom knows about me and Avery. She showed me photos of me and Avery kissing. I'm thinking someone ratted us out"

"What about Avery?"

"I told her not to talk to me, not right now. Just till things calm down a bit"

"Danni..." He sighed. "I'm so sorry. Do you need me to come over?"

"No, it's fine. I just needed to talk"

"Why did you tell Avery to go away? You know that you need her right now. You are both involved in this"

"I know. I know. I just needed some space and she needs to settle things with her mom first. Alone"

"Okay... but are you doing okay?"

"Yeah. Everything is fine. Ben is taking a nap and I'm making chocolate cake... probably for me. Ben requested it too"

He chuckled lightly. "Even in your situation, you still bake cakes. Alright, kiddo, if you needed anything just call me, okay?"

"I will" He hung up and the door knocked, grabbing her attention.

She went to get it and when she opened it she saw Avery standing and she looked like she was crying with her red puffy eyes.

"Av-"

Before she could continue Avery slammed herself against her in a hug. Danni enveloped her in her embrace and rubbed her back gently.

"That bad?" she tried to joke with the red head but she only heard a sniffle.

"I love you" Avery mumbled the words softly against her chest.

"What?"

She pulled away from her embrace and looked her in the eye.

"I love you" she repeated and Danni smiled. "I don't know why it took me so long to say it. I'm so stupid" She covered her face.

Danni took her hands away from her face and tilted her chin up, making her look at her.