Chapter (41): Taming The Shrew

In the middle of the party, Avery sat alone regretting her words as she played with her drink. April and Steve have already left and some of the guests started to leave. As she was sitting with her own silence, someone took a seat beside her and offered her a small smile.

"Why are you sitting all alone?" asked Rick.

"... Not in the mood to party" she said casually not making eye contact with him.

"What's up? In the beginning you were all happy what happened?"

"Why do you ask so many questions?" she asked annoyed.

"... Sorry" He stood up to leave.

"No wait!" He turned around. "I'm sorry that was rude of me. Please sit"

He nodded and sat again. "Wanna drink?" He offered, pointing at her empty glass.

"Drinking won't solve anything"

"So there is a problem, hmm" He tapped his glass of champagne. "Wanna talk about it? I could be a good therapist"

She smiled a little but faded once again. " I hurt someone's feelings" She gave him her glass for a refill and he obliged.

"And how did you do that?"

"... I said things I shouldn't have said in the first place but I didn't mean to say those words"

"Interesting" he said. "Have you tried apologizing to them?"

"I did but it didn't work!" she said frustrated, covering her face with her palms.

"Just give them time, that's all what we all need first. Just remember a time when someone said something that hurt you and I'm sure the first thing you did was having your own space and time, right?"

"...Yeah"

"Then that's all what you need to do now. Apologize to them when the time is right"

"That's what I'll do tomorrow" she said regaining her positive energy. "Thanks, Rick"

"You are welcome. Now, can we have some fun? The night is still young. How about you show me around the house?" He grinned.

"Sure" She beamed.

Danni stepped out of the kitchen helping the others and spotted Avery going with Rick upstairs. She clenched her teeth when she saw the smile on Avery's face as she kept talking with him and he smiled in return, giving Avery a look that made Danni's blood boil then they disappeared from her view.

The party ended, Fred, Harper and Rick took off, Avery was biting her nails fighting the urge to see Danni now before she leaves. She opened her door and before she went downstairs, she heard Danni's voice.

"I'll be there in like 20 minutes..."

She saw her on the phone, talking with her phone pressed between her shoulder and her ear. Avery began to take small step downstairs but Danni didn't see her and got out of the house, busy with her phone. She sighed heavily and went back to her room.

****************************

Danni drove Ben to school and then headed to her uncle's garage but she was still mad at Avery and it was hard to get her out of her mind especially after she saw her with Rick. She started working on a Suzuki bike and her uncle came to assist her but he knows that when she is silent that means two things, either she is engrossed in her work or something is bothering her.

"The cat ate your tongue, kiddo?"

"Something like that" She frowned and inhaled.

"Hmm, I'm guessing it's Avery, right?" She didn't respond. "Silence says it all" He smiled at his right guess. "What's up this time?"