Chapter (36): The Hacker & The Stealthy

April and Steve said their goodbyes to Avery after they had their plan for tomorrow. Danni closed the door behind them and went upstairs to Avery's room. Avery was sitting on her bed, looking distant. The bed dipped down when Danni sat beside her.

"Hey" she said softly. "I'm sorry things will have to go that way"

"It's okay. It's the best option that we have to keep everyone safe"

"I-I'll be there for you this time"

Avery turned to her, smiling. "I know you will"

"Aren't you... scared? Because I'm, Ave"

"Why?"

"Well... what if our plan didn't work and he ended up hurting you?"

"Danni, he won't and you know why?" She stared in her eyes. "Because you are gonna be there and you gave me the courage to stand up for myself"

"I don't doubt that"

"There is something I forgot to tell you about"

"What is it?"

"Harper wants you to be the chef in the wedding. My mom approved and will raise your salary if you go but I don't want to push you to do it because you work here and not there"

"I'm in"

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's been a long time since I've been in a wedding and it's my first time to be a wedding chef. It's like working in a restaurant"

"You aren't doing it for the money?"

"Actually, no. I'm doing it for myself and... for you. Unless you don't want me to be there"

"No, I want you to be there, at least when I get bored I'll sneak into the kitchen to bother you"

Danni chuckled and rested her head on the pillow with both of her hands behind her head.

"I don't mind. I'm used to you, ginger"

"And we are back"

Avery did the same thing except that she slept on her side to look at Danni.

"Does it hurt?"

"What hurts?"

"The bruises" She turned her head.

She sighed. "Not physically, it's just the fact that I was sexually abused hurts me more"

She turned and leaned on her side. "Tomorrow, I promise you, everything will be over" She gazed at her eyes for a few good seconds and leaned over kissing her cheek then started to get up from the bed. "See you tomorrow, okay? And You know what you are gonna do"

Avery nodded and Danni gave her a smile before leaving the house.

*****************************

At college, Steve asked every student about a student named, Susan Williams who was Gray's victim a year ago. One student pointed at her and Steve walked over to her.

"Susan Williams?"

"Uh, yes"

"Hi, I'm Steve" He extended his hand and shook hers.

"Hi" she said politely.

"I'm sorry if I came out of nowhere but I... We need your help"

"My help? My help in what exactly?"

"... I'm sorry if this is none of my business but once you hear me, you'll know why I'm asking you about it"

"Okay, I'm listening"