Chapter (16): Videogames

Danni was in the kitchen, preparing dinner but only for Avery since her parents were on a business trip and while she was preparing it, her mind was occupied with few things that needed to be done... soon before it's too late.

"That's it, I'm done" said Danni as she finished her masterpiece dish.

"You are a magician!" said Abigail.

"Yeah, and now if you'll excuse me I have to make a phone call"

She left them and opened her phone dialing Steve.

"Hello?" asked Steve.

"Hey, man... It's me"

"Danni! Hi! It's good to hear your voice. I was meaning to call you; I want us to hang out like we used to"

"That's why I'm calling"

"Meet me in my house? I'll text you the address"

"You got it" She hung up and went to get ready.

Meanwhile Avery was talking to April on the phone after suspecting that Danni was up to something.

"I heard her say things like... Money... usual spot"

"Maybe you misheard"

"No. No, I know what I heard and she was talking with a low voice making sure I hear nothing and was acting all secrecy"

"Don't you think you are overreacting?"

"Never!"

"Look Ave, calm down a little, will you? I know you don't like her but if you really got to know her you will actually like her. Just give yourself a chance to know her better"

"What if she is a drug dealer or something or she is a gang member?"

"Ave, just leave her alone"

"I won't rest until I find out"

"Don't do anything crazy!" She warned.

"I have to go now. Talk to you later"

"Ave wait!" She hung up on her.

Avery went downstairs sneakily, hiding from Danni and planning to follow her. She saw Danni riding her vespa and wearing her helmet then took off. Quickly Avery jumped into her car and followed her.

********************************

Danni stopped her vespa in front of Steve's house, not aware that Avery was following her all the way. She went into the building and rang the bell and a happy Steve swung the door open.

"Hey!" said Steve as he hugged her.

"Hey, man"

"Come on in" He motioned for her to come in.

"Nice place, bro"

"Yeah" He chuckled. "That's what you get when live on your own"

"I've gotta say it looks tidier than your own room back in the old days"

"Yeah, it is..." His eyes set on the play station console. "Wanna start?"

"Oh, you know I want"

They went in front of the big plasma TV and sat on the floor with the controller in their hands and started a car race.

"So, how is your job at Avery's?"

"So far so good even though she is a bit annoying" she said as she raced a car.

"Avery? You are kidding right?"

"Nope"

"She is sweet and nice like sugar and spice, I'm telling you. I've known her since we were kids"

"She seems only spice to me but too much spice. The one that gives you ache"

"That she is but not exactly too. She was the hottest girl in her school and she could have anyone she wanted"

"Yeah but with that attitude of hers; no one will want her" She scoffed. "But I have to be honest with you, this morning she was being nice to me and I wish if I had a recorder or something"

He chuckled. "Is she really that bad to you?"

"Nah... it's cool, not holding a grudge or anything since her parents are divorcing"

He paused the game and looked at her. "You know about that?"

"By coincidence" She shrugged.

He sighed sadly. "Avery has been doing everything she can to stop such thing from happening but I guess she failed" he said sadly and turned on the game.

"What do you think will happen to her after the divorce?"

"I actually don't know but I know one thing for sure... that Avery will be destroyed for a while then bounce back, she is a strong girl"

"Yeah. A strong ginger" She muttered under her breath.

"So, tell me... any girlfriends?"

She laughed softly. "No, not now"

"What do you mean not now? Is there someone on your mind?" He paused the game again.

"Are you gonna let us finish the game or what?!" She waved her hands in frustration.

"Answer me first" He demanded.

"Well... There is someone but we are just friends"

"Pffft nonsense... they say that at first. Do you like her?"

"I do"

"Then what's stopping you?"

She thought about all the reasons that are stopping her from finding someone to be with her.

"A lot of things actually"

"Well don't let anything stop you from finding your happiness" he said as he started the game again.

"I'm doing it for his happiness" She muttered again and he didn't hear her.

****************************

Two hours have passed and Avery fell asleep in her car from waiting for Danni to come down. Danni went to her vespa and once she turned on the engine, Avery woke up at the sound, waiting for her to move and when she did, she followed her and stopped when she saw Danni stop and a middle aged man rode behind her and they moved again.

After a long time of a cat mouse sneaky chase, Danni parked in front of a huge white building and both she and the man stepped out of the vespa walking toward the entrance that said 'Hospital'.

"A hospital!" said Avery as her brows knitted into a frown. "Wha-"