Chapter (18): A Thanks

Danni entered her apartment taking off her jacket and threw it on the couch, sighing heavily and deeply, leaning her back against the closed door and she buried her face in her hands.

"How am I gonna get the money?" she asked herself as she went to bed but couldn't sleep, thoughts roamed her mind and she kept tossing and turning all night until it was 5:00 Am when her eyes gave up to sleep.

Avery woke up early and she knew she had to do something on her own, luckily for her, her parents were on their business trips. She hopped out of the bed and got dressed in her white dress shirt and blue jeans with her white sneakers, something causal.

When she headed downstairs, she only saw Robert and Abigail in the kitchen and she guessed that they will start preparing her breakfast.

"Morning" she said and they raised their heads at her with a frown.

"M-morning, Miss Avery" said Abigail.

"Morning" said Robert.

"Would you like me to prepare the breakfast?" asked Abigail.

"No, actually I'm heading out now so..."

"Should we wait for you, miss?" asked Robert.

"No. Thank you" she said and left grabbing her bag with her.

Abigail turned to Robert with her brows knotted in confusion.

"Did I hear correctly?" she asked. "Did she say 'Morning' and 'Thank you'. Dear lord! What's going on in this house?" She threw her hands up in frustration.

"Point taken" said Robert rubbing his chin. "But it doesn't matter, she has always been a good kid. It's just the circumstances that changed her a little"

******************************

Avery went to the hospital with a wrapped box in her hands, she somehow avoided the nurse at the front desk and went to the elevator hitting the button 4 and arrived outside room 402. She made sure that Danni wasn't there or the man who came with her the other night and opened the door, seeing the little boy looking at her innocently with the remote in his hand.

"Who are you?" he asked and she closed the door behind her.

"I'm..." She composed herself. "I'm a friend of Danni. My name is Avery" she smiled.

"You are? But I've never seen you before"

"You can say I'm her new friend" She chuckled softly. "Can I sit with you?" He nodded and she sat on the edge of the bed and handed him the wrapped box. "This is for you... it's from Danni"

"For me?" He grinned.

"Mm-hmm" She nodded and couldn't help but smile at him when he opened the box.

He gasped when he saw the stuffed penguin toy, he looked at her with wide eyes but his eyes were smiling.

"Thank you" he said as he hugged the stuffed penguin then he reached for Avery's hand and she held his little hand. "Can I hug you?"

"Uh..." She looked at his pleaded eyes. "Sure" She smiled and he hugged her as she stroked his hair.

"I wanna see Danni" he said. "Can you call her?" He looked up at her and she didn't know what to say.

"I want her to come too, but she is working now..."

He pouted and pulled away from the hug. "Okay"

"But I promise you that you'll see her a lot, okay?"

"Okay, would you tell her that I love her?"

She smiled too sweetly at him. "Of course" She stood up. "I'm leaving now and I'm glad to see you"