Chapter 6: Instinct

Y/N POV:

Its been a few weeks since Ruby and Weiss had trouble getting along, things have gotten a bit more...peaceful in a way but there's another problem.

Jaune: [Battle Cry]

Jaune misses his sword strike on Cardin as he swings his mace knocking him and his shield away.

Jaune then goes for another swing as Cardin swings his mace locking them both in a power struggle with Cardin having the advantage.

Cardin: This is the part where you lose.

Jaune: Over my dead-!

Cardin then knees him in the stomach, making him drop his sword and fall to the ground in pain.

He then raises his mace about to slam it down until the buzzer goes off.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough!

Glynda: Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match.

Glynda: (to Jaune) Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll more discreetly during combat. Gauging your Aura too much will leave you open while your deciding when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy.

Glynda: We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?

Glynda: Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away!

Glynda: It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing!

Glynda: Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!

The Bell rings for Lunch as all of us head to the cafeteria.

Timeskip~

Nora: So! There we were, in the middle of the night...

Ren: It was day.

I continue drawing in my notebook listening to her story.

Nora: We were surrounded by Ursai...

Ren: (holding a coffee cup) They were Beowolves.

Nora: Dozens of them!

Ren: Two of 'em.

Nora: But they were no match... And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!

Ren: (sighs) She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now.

Pyrrha: Jaune? Are you okay?

I see him messing with his food looking down.

Jaune: (snapping out of it, turning back toward them) Huh? Oh, yeah! Why?

Ruby: It's just that you seem a little... not okay...

Jaune: Guys, I'm fine. Seriously! Look!

He holds up his thumb with a nervous laugh.

Pyrrha: Jaune, Cardin's been picking on you since the first week of school!

Jaune: Who? Cardin Winchester? Nah... He just likes to mess around! You know, practical jokes!