Chapter 42: Painful Steps Forward

3rd Person POV:

In an open field near the Rose Xiao Long household, Yang gets into a fighting stance as Taiyang takes a swing at her with his left hand, but she easily blocks it with her robotic wrist, pushing his hand away from her.

Taiyang then takes a swing from the right as Yang blocks with her left before using the momentum to turn and come back at her father with a roundhouse kick.

Taiyang bends backwards to dodge it, his legs in a lunge. He lands a solid punch on Yang, pushing her back a few feet.

Nearby, Zwei watches the two spar, panting happily. Beside him is a low stool with two white towels. His head changes angles, oscillating to the sounds of grunts and contact. Abruptly he holds his head straight and makes a noise of surprise.

Taiyang stands alone and moves forward, doing his own roundhouse kick. Yang joins both hands atop each other to block Tai's landing foot. With a loud cry, she pushes it up and back.

Taiyang regains his footing in a flip while Yang waits for his landing. Using her robotic arm, she knocks him back with a single hit.

Holding onto his right bicep, Tai slides through the dirt, his feet flat on the ground until he comes to a stop.

Taiyang: Whoa, that thing packs a punch!

Yang: We've been at this for weeks. I get it, you wanna make sure I can still fight. (bumping her own fists) I think I'm doing just fine.

Taiyang: You're close.

He stands upright, no longer nursing his arm. Walking around Yang, assessing her progress.

Yang: Oh, really?

Taiyang: You're still off balance.

Yang: What?! No I'm not!

Taiyang chuckles.

Yang: Honestly, I'm kind of surprised.

She lifts her robotic arm, looking down at it with a smile.

Yang: I thought it would be just this huge weight, but it feels... natural. They did a great job with this thing.

Taiyang then goes for a surprise attack landing a left hook on her face. Yang rears back from the impact and shock as she readies herself to block his right hook and uses the turning momentum to deliver an elbow jab.

Tai blocks it and then dodges all the kicks she follows through with. Yang switches to punches, but Tai is too on point for her.

While she uses her left hand to block an elbow thrust, Tai grabs her robotic arm and pulls forward causing Yang to lose her balance as she's forced to relay on one leg to keep from falling.

Taiyang: I wasn't talking about your actual balance.

He sweeps her forward leg, sending her onto the ground on her back. He leaves her there and walks over to Zwei, who happily gets the top towel for him.

Taiyang: Although, that could use some work too.

Taiyang takes the towel and give Zwei a rub on the top of his head. Zwei hums happily. Arms spread on the ground, Yang takes a breath before speaking.