Chapter 51: Fear and Answers

Y/N POV:

Y/N: (drawing her sword) Ready, Oscar?

Oscar: (taking out Long Memory) Y-Yes.

I get into my stance as he gets into his as I notice how much his stance improved since he's leaving less openings than before.

Y/N: Begin!

Oscar charges at me going for multiple jabs with his cane putting me on the defensive as I dodge and counter each of his strikes.

He then goes for an overhead swing as I move my sword up to block the impact causing my legs to falter for a second.

Y/N: (He's gotten stronger...)

I then push him off me before swinging my blade at his weapon disarming him as I charge at him stopping my blade short at his throat.

Y/N: Give up?

Oscar: (falls to his knees exhausted) Y-Yeah.

I grab a water bottle from the side of the dojo and hand it to him as I grab myself one as well.

Y/N: (sitting next to Oscar) You're skills have improved greatly.

Oscar: You think so?

Y/N: You're stance has become much more efficient and you've started making less unnecessary movements when you try to strike.

Y/N: Before you were on par with most students from a regular combat school like Signal Academy but keep this up and you'll be at the same level as most first years at Beacon if not better.

Oscar: I see...

Suddenly I hear someone heading downstairs as I turn to see it's Ruby.

Ruby: Hey, you two.

Y/N & Oscar: Hey.

Ruby: I guess you both are taking a break, huh? (sitting next to them) Are you hungry? It's almost dinnertime.

Oscar: Uh, yeah. That sounds good.

Y/N: We were actually about to call it a night anyway.

Ruby: (to Oscar) So, you've never fought before?

Oscar: Just the occasional small Grimm. Nothing like this, though.

Ruby: Wow. (giggles) You looked like a natural.

Oscar: It's strange...(picking up the cane from the floor) I have only had this cane for a few weeks, but... I feel like I've had it for a lifetime. Longer, even. (pause) I sound like a crazy person.

Ruby: I mean, uh, yeah just a little. But at this pace, you'll be combat ready in no time!

Suddenly, Ruby frowns upon mentioning her last phrase as I place a hand on hers as she grabs onto it.

I see Oscar notice this and it seems like he wants to ask something.

Oscar: Uh...

Ruby: Well, see you upstairs.

Y/N: I'll go and wash up.

I head upstairs first and turn to see Ruby isn't behind me as I quietly head back down to see Ruby walking back over to Oscar.

Oscar: How do you handle all of this?

Ruby: What do you mean?

Oscar: I'm...scared. (voice starts to crack) I'm more scared than I've ever been in my life, than I ever thought was possible.