Chapter 35: Next Step Forward

3rd Person POV:

In the land of darkness, Grimm continue to spawn from pools of a black tar like substance as Emerald and Mercury watch in fear and disgust from Salem's castle.

Along with Cinder, the two attend a tense meeting with three of Salem's other allies Watts, Tyrian, and Hazel. Cinder sits quietly, while Mercury and Emerald move to her side. Emerald nudges Mercury out of her way so that she can be directly next to Cinder.

Watts: Yes, yes, please keep your posse in check.

Mercury grunts and makes a move toward Watts, but Emerald holds him back.

Watts: You hear that? Silence.

Hazel gives Watts an unimpressed sideways glance.

Watts: I've half a mind to thank the little girl that bested you.

Tyrian: If I were you, I'd hunt her down. (snicker) Find her and, well, she took your eye, didn't she?

Cinder only stares at Tyrian while he cackles at her. Cinder tries to speak but only manages to make quiet exhaling noises. Emerald leans in to hear her.

Watts: Pathetic. Why did you even--

There is a sound of a heavy metal door being unlatched. The doors open and everyone stands just before Salem enters.

She glides alongside the table with soft footsteps before reaching the head of it, jewels jangling from her hair. Salem stops, facing away from them and towards a candle and crystal display.

Salem: Watts.

Watts straightens, looking toward her.

Salem: (turning) Do you find such malignance necessary?

She then gestures for everyone to sit down.

Watts: I apologize, ma'am. I'm not particularly fond of failure..

Watts and Salem sit simultaneously.

Salem: Then I see no reason for your cruelty towards young Cinder. She's become our Fall Maiden, destroyed Beacon Tower, and most importantly, killed dear Ozpin. So I'm curious, to what failures are you referring?

Watts: Well, the girl with the Silver Eyes.

Hazel: Yes. We've dealt with their kind before. How is it a novice was able to best one of us?

Watts: My thoughts exactly. Even without her new power, it should have been effortless.

Salem: It is because of the Maiden's power. Make no mistake, Cinder, you hold the key to our victory. 

Salem: But your newfound strength brings with it a crippling weakness. Which is why you will remain by my side as we continue your treatment.

Cinder lowers her head in shame, as Emerald looks at her in sympathy.

Salem: Dr. Watts, you are to take Cinder's place and meet with our informant in Mistral.

Watts: Very well.

Salem: Tyrian, I want you to continue your hunt for the Spring Maiden.

Tyrian: (laughing) Gladly.

Salem: And Hazel, I'm sending you to the leader of the White Fang. Adam Taurus has arranged the meeting.

Salem: The boy continues to prove loyal. Ensure that Sienna Khan feels the same.