chapter 12

Eliana POV

"...she's my mate and soon to be your Luna. Treat her nice for me." Noah finishes his toast. I put a smile on staring at him from my seat across the table.

My heart drops, as Noah sits down and the pack cheers.

Luna.

The thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

My fork stabs into the beef and I shove it in my mouth.

The pack members speak among themselves, Noah with his beta and others and Alyssa with some women. My eyes stay trained down on my plate.

I was sure I was going to enjoy this a lot more than this. I continue to munch on the food, as no real taste registers.

Being around others and having to adapt is something I never did. Or had to do. If anything, I was insulted and treated like shit, but that made everything clear.

I didn't expect anything from my old pack. I knew how our interactions would go.

Here I'm like a new-born cub.

"Hey, I'm Kate." One member sneaks up behind my seat, introducing herself to me.

I nod, unsure what to say. She already knows my name.

She nods back and goes back to where she sat.

I internally facepalm. I should've said something, I could've asked her anything.

Dinner wraps up soon after and I wave to Alyssa as turn, heading upstairs.

I ruined it for myself. I wish I had tried to talk to everyone, or even Noah. I just sat there.

I'll try again tomo-

"How is she supposed to be our Luna?" A voice says as I pass the bathroom.

I freeze close to the door.

"She seems like she's scared of us, like a sob story type of bitch." Another voice adds.

I knew it.

I continue walking.

I knew I ruined it for myself.

Maybe my old pack was right. I don't deserve anything but a broom and a dustpan to sweep with.

I make it to my room, glancing over at Noah's door.

He doesn't deserve me. I can't speak, much less rule a pack by his side.

The door creaks open and I shut behind me softly. I throw off the shoes Alyssa gave me and get settled into the plush soft bed.

If I could just hide here forever, I'd be happy.

Why can't I be comfortable? They aren't bad people, I don't they are.

When I met Noah, it was easy to trust and talk to him. But with everyone else, I'm too afraid to even try to speak up let alone make friends.

I fucked up and now they think I'm some wuss who leeched on to Noah.

I don't know how to lead a pack or meet new people.

Is it even worth trying?

I pull my covers over my head.

"I can do better. I can do whatever I want now." I escaped. I'm not in that basement anymore. They don't control anything I do. They can't.

But what if better isn't enough?

Noah POV

"Do you think she liked the food?" I ask, my father as he takes a seat in my brown leather chair behind my desk.

He smiles at me, stroking his baby smooth chin as it reflected the lamps light.

"You were staring at her the whole time, you should've talked to her if you were so worried." He reason, setting his elbows down on my papers.

I sigh. I wish he would stop sitting there.

"She needs to warm up to the pack on her own I didn't want to hog her." The documents under his arms, wrinkle and bend.

My finger twitches.

"Then stop feeling bad about it now." He leans back in the chair and the papers slide off their stack.

Ugh.

"Can you get out my area? You're too much of a mess." I lean against the corner of the desk, waiting as my father sits before me, not attempting to move.

"Did you get any leads on the rogues?"

I tense, standing up and walking to the chair across from his.

"Not yet."

No matter what we look up, or the packs we reach out to, the answer is they disappeared. Just like that.

People say they're dead.

"You don't have to keep this up, Noah. Your mother and I have moved passed it, you should too." He sits up, placing his hands on the edge of the table.

My eyes snap to his.

"That's not even an option." I shake my head.

Not this again.

"Noah, listen." He reaches out to me.

"No. you know they're still out there. I can't put up my walls like you and mom did. I won't." I turn, storming my way out the room.

My father and I can never have conversations too long. My mom too.

Certain things can't be forgiven, especially when poked and probed every few days of a lifetime.

I reach the upstairs hall and Eliana's scent dances in the air, waltzing with my senses, as I find myself at her door.

I peek into her room, slipping in, tip-toeing on the wooden floor boards. My feet stop by the side of the bed, as her form is outlined by the teal blankets that cover her.

"I'm glad I found you." I whisper, kneeling close to her face.

Her skin, rich in melanin lays peacefully as snow. She breathes soft, the sounds of her inhaling like wisps in the night.

"I'll keep you safe here." My pinky draws across her jaw and she stirs, rubbing her shoulder up into her cheeks as they press together like pillows.

Her lips pout in her sleep and I lean in closer, her breaths fanning my face.

"Noah..."

I jump back, breathing heavily.

She turns around, muttering some more. I let out a deep breath.

I've overstayed my visit.

I hurry out the door careful to be quiet. I peek back at Eliana as I close her door, moonlight illuminating the room.

Crossing the hall, I enter my own room. I plop myself down on my bed, throwing my head back to look at the ceiling.

She says my name while she sleeps.

I grin.

Adorable.
_______________________________________
2,227 ~ 5/6/20

Hey guys, thanks so much for the support. Hang in there.

Next update on the 8th!

XO.