chapter 17

Eliana POV

The dinning room buzzes with life and laughter as my eyes look for Noah.

I've never really noticed that a space can be brighter with smiles, especially when you're not excluded from it.

A hand wraps around my wrist as I turn and see Alyssa. She pulls me towards the table, as I watch long blonde locks crowd my vision.

"Alyssa, your hair is getting in my mouth," I say, swatting it back on her shoulders.

She stops and cheeses at me.

"Sorry, I let it down and it goes everywhere." She laughs.

"Yeah, I can tell." Someone shoves my shoulder as I stumble back a few inches.

The girl from before stands beside me, scowling, as her friend stays close behind her.

"Bethany, excuse you." Alyssa scolds, as Bethany scoffs. I avoid her gaze.

"How are you going to be our Luna if you can't even stand up for yourself?' She asks, walking away. Her friend follows.

She's right, but does she have to shit on me like that every time she sees me?

Alyssa sighs, sitting me down at the seat next to her usual one. She rubs my shoulder, as she looks at me with pity.

"Don't mind Beth, she's just hurt. She only wants the best for the pack and that makes her act out in ways she wouldn't." I nod.

"I know," I whisper.

Anyone with eyes can tell I'm not the right fit for Luna but I can change. I will change.

"Eliana..." Alyssa watches me while I turn my eyes to my plate.

"I'm fine. She has the right to hate me. Let's forget about it." I plaster a smile on and flash it at her. She sends me a weak one back.

Noah walks in late as he did yesterday, making eye contact with me. Butterflies flutter in my stomach. His curly brown hair falls on to his face and his eyes brighten as he smirks.

My mood lightens as he stares at me from his seat across the table.

His beta elbows him in the ribs and he flinches, turning and scolding him. I chuckle.

Noah's made everything in my life better for me. I have to get rid of this cloud over my head. If he can live in the spotlight every day, I should be able to as well.

Chicken breast and rice are served as bowls of salad are passing around.

Thank the Moon Goddess for taste buds.

Scents of spices from the rice and chicken along with ranch from the salad drift in the air taunting me.

I greedily hoard up my food and pass the bowl to Alyssa. She stares at me wide-eyed.

"It's good to know you're getting better. Eat plenty." She says, scooping another lump of rice on my plate. I chuckle under my breath.

"You guys have really good food." I say, glancing towards Noah. He grins and gestures to the pile in front of me, laughing. Rolling my eyes, I dig in.

There's time for Noah and there's time for eating.

"Eliana, how's your stay here been so far?" The table quiets down as my eyes snap to the boy from this morning at breakfast. Hunter?

The table waits for my answer as the once noisy room is as silent as sleep.

My hand shakes and I set my fork back on to the plate.