chapter 45

Noah POV

My pack stands in stunned silence before me.

"Doesn't that mean our future Luna is from a pack that has slaughtered our own? Her blood is tainted with the blood of our fallen! We can't-"

"I dare you to say that again." I growl, clenching my fists as my wolf dares to take over.

I won't have anyone threaten my family.

"I don't want to fight any of you, but I will if I have to. If I hear another word like that, I swear by the Goddess, I'll banish you from this pack. Eliana's my mate. I hope you all can understand that." I seethe trying not to let my anger overwhelm me.

I just want to stay with her. I need her.

"But they-they killed your sister. Don't you care? You'll be sleeping with the bitch who-"

"Kai, go get her stuff. Make sure not even a washcloth remains in this house by tomorrow." I state, glaring at our female member, Roseann.

"Wait, no. You can't just kick me out!" She yells as my men begin to drag her away from the porch. Our pack members look on in fear, disbelief, and some, betrayal.

"I swore by the Goddess. Eliana is not the one who killed our brothers and sisters. She was as much as a victim as we were. Trust me on that, although it's not my story to tell." I say, looking away from Roseann, as she screams being taken away from our territory.

I lived for my pack. I would've died for my pack. But Eliana is my future, and also the future of this pack.

No matter where her roots come from, she's mine.

Even if my sister curses me from the grave, I'll bear it.

Eliana didn't kill anyone. She didn't kill my family.

"Noah? What's going on?" I look up to the familiar voice of my mother. My father stands close behind her as a path opens up through the crowd. They walk towards me, each step building more and more dread inside my chest.

Will they hate her? Will they get rid of her? Can I stop them?

"Noah, speak up." My father says. I can only stare at them as they climb up the front steps, standing near me.

"Noah! We just saw Roseann being dragged off by your soldiers, why would you order that? Answer us!" My mom pleads.

I don't want to answer. I don't want to hear their answer. I don't want to feel that kind of pain.

"Hunter, tell us." My father says using his power as the previous Alpha over him.

"Last night, there was a break-in by Eliana, our future Luna's, old pack. They carried the scent-" I cut him off, my fists clenched tight as my nails bite my palm.

"They carried the scent of the men who attacked us and... killed Sam 13 years ago." I breathe out through my teeth. My eyes widen as my mom's face falls. Her hands start to shake as she swallows.

"That means she's family with them." My father says, staring hard at me.

"Yes, but-"

"Let's not talk about this now. Just give me some time to think about this. I don't want to do something I'll regret." My mother mumbles out, turning on her heel and hurrying away from my father and I, towards their home farther in the wood.

"Son, I-I'll follow your mom." With that he disappears into the crowd, running away like always.

They run away from everything, go into hiding, and expect the world to work out their problems.

This isn't their problem though, it's mine.

"We'll talk more later. Meeting adorned." I wave my pack off, trudging back to the infirmary where Eliana lies.

As much as the love runs deep in my soul for my pack, I can't just get rid of Eliana. I would die for my pack but I can't accept this one request of theirs.

I didn't expect anyone to get it, I just hoped they would. I wanted to be granted this one wish of selfishness but it seems I'll have to fight for it. Take it by force.

It might be wrong but I can't just give up.

I open the door to the room, my gaze finding Eliana's sleeping figure instantly.

I won't give her up.

My feet take me to her, step by step as if in a trance. I kneel by her side, laying my head on to her chest. The sound of her beating heart sends relief down to my toes.

As long as we're together, I'm willing to go up against anyone.

Eliana POV

This floating feeling is back. The constant feeling of numbness and floating.

"...come back."

Come back? Where? To who?

I have no home now. I don't know if I had one before but I know, I just know this empty feeling inside means I don't have a home anymore.

This floating is better. I like to float.

"Wolves need a family to survive. Lone wolves end up weak and die shortly after leaving their pack. Don't you want a family Eliana?" A voice whispers, almost divine.

"You hold the last of my sacred blessing. It was too much to entrust your blood with the duty of protecting our race. It cut down your numbers, made your blood weak, and in the end, your pack was defeated by the very race they had sworn to protect. I'm sorry, Eliana." The divine voice weeps, her tears bringing light to the dark abyss.

Has she lost her home too?

"No, I haven't, but I want you to find yours again. There's someone fighting for you out there. Someone who loves you, as you love him." The voice dances as her words wrap around me.

Someone who loves me? Someone who...?

"That's right my child, remember. I'll restore your strength so open your eyes. You still have a home." A warmth spreads from my hands, taking away the numbness, bringing me to my feet.

Someone who cares. Someone who loves me. That's right....

"Until next time, my dear child. Protect those you love. Embrace who you are and it won't kill you, but empower you."

It's... he was...

"Noah!"
________________________________
37.9k ~ 7/20/20

Thanks for all the comments and views and stuff, I'm really surprised this is even getting traction. Love y'all.

Check out my new book "Lost Minds" about a misunderstood crazy girl with an inappropriate desire, and the cold, yet annoying new boy who enters her life. Full of drama, lies, and a dangerous past that still haunts them.

Well that's all, update in two to the days.

XO.