chapter 18

Eliana POV

Screams rack the night as my eyes snap open. My heart beats fast as the voice calls out again.

Noah?

I jump out of bed, hurrying out my door and to the front of his. Halting in front of his room, the screams go quiet again.

Should I go in? He said I could but I don't want to-

The voice shouts out, raw and painful gritting against my ears as my wolf shuffles unsteadily on her paws.

We have to go in.

I creak open the door and shut it behind me softly as Noah twists and turns on his bed. My feet jog over as I bend over the side of his bed.

"Noah?" I ask, not daring to touch him. He pops up from his slumber, eyes wide open and body damp from sweat. The bed bounces softly under him.

"Noah?" I ask again and he jumps back, sharply turning to me, staring.

His eyes glaze over as he looks in my direction. Is he even there?

"Noah, are you ok?" Suddenly, his hand comes towards me.

My vision blurs as Noah pulls me into his bed. My breath catches in my throat while his arms wrap around my waist.

"Noah! Hey, Noah?" I pat his large, hard chest before me, as the pounding of his heart beneath my fingers silence me.

Fast and strong like a drum, thudding against his ribs.

He was scared.

My tense muscles soothe and I lay my face on his chest, listening as his heartbeat relaxes. His hold on my waist doesn't.

My wolf howls in happiness, shaking her tail. I ignore her.

He was having a nightmare, screaming that loud. His voice sounded like shards of pain.

What could he have been dreaming about? What brings him out of sleep, unaware of himself? What makes his heart run as he lays still?

My gaze goes to his peaceful face. My fingers trail along his jaw.

He's holding back so much and the lives of his pack weigh on his shoulders. Alone.

Curling my fingers into a fist, I take a deep breath.

I won't let my past set me back anymore. I'll stand up for myself from now on. I need to become stronger. For Noah.

Even if that means finding a way to use that power, or whatever that was. I'll practice. I'll change.

Bethany is wrong.

I tuck my head against his chest, as my nerves from earlier and past memory, leave me for once.

This is the least I can do.

***

The kitchen swarms with wolves and yet Noah isn't one of them.

When I woke up this morning, I was back in my room. I looked around for Noah but the teal walls surrounding me brought me back to reality.

I sigh.

He had to pick me up and carry me to my room.

Heat rises in my cheeks as I shake my head, moving to get a plate.

That's not important, it's not like he hasn't picked me up before. My mind flashes back to the first time we met. I guess a lot has happened since then.

I scoop a lump of grits and pour myself some green tea as others buzz in and out of the kitchen.

A hand grabs my shoulder, pulling me around. I turn to see one of the guys from yesterday morning, behind me. The brown-haired one, Hunter, I think.