chapter 48

Noah POV

My parents sit across from me, my mother eyes trained on Eliana as the pack is placed all around us.

"There's something we obviously have to talk about, isn't there?" My father states, the atmosphere growing even more dense.

Angry glares stab at Eliana and I as dinner is being served. I ignore them, slipping my hand into Eliana's. I squeeze her hand and stroke the skin of her thumb softly.

No one understands, but it doesn't matter. Eliana doesn't need anyone but me.

"I'm sure Noah's told you about the incident that occurred 13 years ago." My mother starts. Eliana nods, her gaze staying in her lap.

She's scared. Like the days I first met her, her eyes won't meet anyone's. It took her so much to come out of her shell and now, they're all pushing her back into it.

"And we recently found out that you are from that pack who attacked us, did they send you here as a spy?" I slam my fist into the table, holding back my wolf as my breathing deepens. Eliana's hand in mine begins to tremble.

"Mom, you can't possibly believe that she's a-"

"Answer the question. Noah, shut up or we'll have her sleep by the lake today." My father deadpans.

I stand up, knocking my chair to the ground as a low growl leaves me. My wolf fights me for control as our anger nearly bursts.

"Sleep by the lake? Do you think I'd let that happen?" Eliana's grip on hand tightens as she pulls at me to sit down.

Why isn't she angry? It's not her fault!

"Noah, sit down!" My father commands. My knees buckle under me as I fall back into my chair.

Fuck, just because I haven't completely mated with Eliana and made her Luna, he still has more authority over the pack than me.

But they are trying to take her away. How can I finish the mating process without her? How can I live without her? Why can't they fucking listen?!

"No, I'm not a spy." Eliana says, lifting her head. Her voice comes out lifeless and dull as my heart aches.

No, please don't give up Eliana.

"Then why did you run away and come here? You knew the risks, that your pack would want you back and Noah, being your mate wouldn't allow them to take you. You brought us a war that we hoped to have left in the past." My mother snarls, her voice growing louder and louder as she goes on.

I clench my teeth, glancing over at Eliana. Her hand in mine has gone limp and her eyes simply stare at my mother. I tighten my grip.

Keep fighting for us Eliana. Please. I can't lose you.

Eliana POV

I thought it hurt more before, when I had never felt the touch of warmth or friendship, even love. But no, it hurts much more when its all suddenly ripped away.

A wound that still ached, stabbed over and over again, bringing you to your knees as you crumble, hitting the ice cold floor.

Accusing eyes surround me as my breathing grows shallow. Tears in Eve's eyes overflow, trailing down her face.

She's right. Why did I come here?

Beth stands close behind Eve and Thomas. Her gaze meets mine and she looks away.

Oh, I see. She's the one who told them about me running away here. That's good. I deserve it. I'm nothing but a mutt. Who will never belong.

"I'm sorry." I say, no moisture coming to my eyes. Noah's hand squeezes mine.

I can't play victim, cause I'm not the victim this time.

To open up the trauma of someone who has let go, or at least tried to let go, is the worst thing someone could do.

I was so desperate for a family I let the thought of a war between my old pack and Noah's, pass by. I deluded myself into thinking I could accept them fighting for my sake because I was with Noah. His family was mine and family stuck together.

How could I be so selfish? Lost in the dreamland of new friendships and love. It was bound to all crash down on me someday. Sooner than I could have ever imagined.

Oh, Goddess.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I repeat, locking eyes with Thomas and then his wife. She shakes her head.

"It's not enough. What you've done, you can't take back." She says, turning towards her husband. He nods.

"She didn't do anything but I thought you guys were willing to forgive Samantha's killers. Isn't that what you said to me? That Samantha wouldn't want us to still be holding on to her with so much hate?" Noah stands again, pulling me up with him. My body drags itself to his side.

He does hate me. He still fights for me, even when he shouldn't. He's the only reason I'm still here.

"Noah..." His father says.

"No, look at yourselves right now. At least, I was honest with myself before. I know who killed Samantha and I'm still going to hunt those bastards down. Eliana didn't harm her. I hate hypocrites." He turns on his heel, bringing an arm around my shoulder and guiding us out of the dining room and away from dinner.

I couldn't even smell my food, let alone touch it.

"Don't worry. I'll clear your name. If my parents are so hurt by this war, I'll deal with it myself. Just stay with me. Focus on me." Noah says, rubbing my arm soothingly. My heart bleeds but his touch heals it. It's enough. I won't ask for more.

I grab his free hand, letting my nails bite into his skin as we head to his room.

I have Noah and that's so much more than enough. Alyssa also doesn't blame me. They should.

"Noah, wait!" Robert's deep, raspy voice reaches us. We both stop as he catches up. He lets out a deep breath and meets my eyes.

"I want to have a lesson tomorrow morning. Your mark isn't a bud anymore, it's about to blossom."
____________________________________
49.2k ~ 7/29/20

So close to 50k!!! Thanks so much guys

Next update in a couple days.

XO.