Why would they tell me that?

A week. It has only been a week into first grade and Delilah hates it already.

"Delilah. What's wrong?" Toni asked as she saw the look on her daughter's face when she walked up to her.

"Nothing." She mumbled, getting into the car.

Toni decided it would be best if she'd just talk to her when they get home.

XXX

Delilah walked into the house. "Hey-" Cheryl was about to greet her but Delilah walked right past her as if she was invisible.

Cheryl looked at Toni who frowned. "She wouldn't tell me what happened. She was quiet the whole car ride." Toni explained.

"We should go talk to her," Cheryl said.

"Yeah. Let's go." Toni said, leading Cheryl upstairs to Delilah's room.

"Knock-" Toni was cut off as she saw that Delilah had been crying.

"Lilah. Why are you crying, mamas?" Toni asked as she and Cheryl went to sit on her bed to cuddle her.

"Did something happen at school?" Toni asked.

Delilah nodded as she wiped some of her tears.

"What?" Cheryl asked.

"T-The kids a-at school told M-me I couldn't p-play with them b-because of my skin color," Delilah said in between sobs.

Toni's heart sank. "What? Why would they said something like that?" She asked.

"T-They said because your black and mommy's white. Why would they tell me that?" Delilah asked? She didn't understand what her skin color had to with anything.

Cheryl sighed. "Lilah. There was a period where White people didn't like black people." Cheryl explained. "Some still don't." She added.

"But you love mama," Delilah said.

"I do. I love her a lot. But sometimes people hold grudges. Those kids at school don't understand what they said was racist and disrespectful. And Delilah you're not just white, your skin color doesn't define who you are as a person." Cheryl said.

"Yeah. You're mixed. Meaning your 50% Black and 50% White. And that still doesn't tell who you are as a person. Don't let what they said hurt your feelings, I'm sure they don't know what it means. Tomorrow mommy and I are gonna go down there and talk to ms. Jackson, okay?" Toni asked.

Delilah nodded as Toni and Cheryl cuddled into her. "I'm so sorry they told you that." Toni frowned as she kissed Delilah's head.

"It's okay, mama," Delilah said with a watery smile.

"Hey. How about we go check on your brothers? I'm sure they'd lift up your mood." Cheryl smiled.

"YEAH." Delilah cheered. Toni smiled as She, Cheryl, and Delilah walked out of the room together.

XXX

"Hey. Can I speak to Ms. Jackson?" Toni asked as she and Cheryl walked into the school.

"Yeah. I'll get her down here." The lady at the desk said.