THE PARTY

[EVA'S POV]

A huge man with a sword slits the throat of a thousand people. It's a gory sight. There are many lamentations. Houses are on fire. There's a total holocaust....a woman with a child are hiding behind a cart, away from the sword of the relentless assailant. He almost doesn't realize she is hidden there, until the baby wails and gets his attention....

I groan loudly and block my ears with my pillow when the loud annoying sound of the alarm resonates in my bedroom. I let out my hand and slam it off in irritation. That stupid alarm always snaps me out of my dream, making it end on a cliffhanger. I never get to understand anything in that dream.

But forget it... I'm going back to sleep. Not today, devil.

Why did morning have to come so fast? Nighttime was like two minutes ago. I ignore the fact that it's time for me to wake up and sprawl wider on the bed.

"Eva!! Eva, come on, I heard that alarm." I hear the voice of Baxter, my apartment mate. I hear his footsteps as he approaches my bed and pull the sheets off me.

"Go away." I whine, like a child, turning my head away from his blue eyes which gawked at me with disbelief.

"Come on. Today's a big day."

"Of course, because today I'm going back to the diner to work all day, also having to face my asshole of a boss." I snap at him, my voice muffled by the pillow.

Baxter shakes his head in amusement. "No, silly. Today is a big day because we have a party to attend."

I suddenly sit up with a start. "It's today?"

"You've been working too much, you lost count of the days. Today is Saturday, meaning no Mr. Sanchez for 24 hours." he grins at me.

I squeal with glee and get off the bed. A whole day without Mr Sanchez bossing me around was total bliss.

However I was still going to see him at the party today, since his family was throwing it. I was only attending it because his parents are very pleasant and nice, even though their money could buy a quarter of the city. They used to be in charge of the diner before they retired, leaving their stupid ego maniac son in charge.

Also I've invited Baxter to come with me, so this will be special.

Baxter leaves my room to make breakfast as I dash into the shower. Baxter and I met in high school, when I lost my parents and was crying by his locker. He had to console me, my tears ruined his favorite shirt. Since then, we became good friends and even bought an apartment together when we got to college.

Marie, who was also his girlfriend, didn't really mind us sharing an apartment because she thinks of me as his sister. She's a special one, really.

After my parents died at the age of eighteen, Baxter has been my only family, he's everything to me. When he was around, I didn't for once remember that I had no family, no one. No parents, no aunts, no uncles, or cousins, no brothers or sisters. If I had any, I had no idea about them. I was tired of hoping and searching. I've lived a lot of years without them. I only had Baxter. My biological family was wiped out for a reason my parents wouldn't disclose. My life was full of mysteries but I was not the curious type, I didn't care anymore. If my parents didn't tell me anything, it must've been because I didn't have to know. After all, I'm still living like a normal person, aren't I? So I didn't want to care.