THE KISS

[EVA'S POV]

            Moros waits for me at the entrance of my room, and when I'm done getting dressed up, we both walk towards the clinic to perform my duties. As we pass by, I catch another glimpse of Ace in his chamber... with the maidens touching his body. Why for God's sake are they always around him?

"My Lady..." I snap out of my thoughts to see Moros holding me with a steady hand. I guess I was going to bump into someone with all the thinking I was doing. Why was I even looking there?

"Thank you." I mutter.

"Is there anything on your mind, My Lady?" Moros asks.

"No, no it's nothing. It's just... why does the king need handmaidens?" I ask.

Moros scoffs at my question. "Because he's the king?"

"Isn't it too creepy to be touching him like that? I mean, it's too intimate and inappropriate." I say.

A tiny smile forms on Moros's lips as he says, "I'll tell you what you want to hear then. It's just part of their duties to dress the king. The relationship between themselves and the king is strictly professional and there's no emotional or sexual attachment, unless the king wants it to be so. But as long as I've known Ace, handmaidens are not his type."

"Oh..." I trail off.

"Well, My Lady, if you're uncomfortable with it, you can tell His Highness to let you do it instead." Moros says with a straight face. Ugh! Why does he always assume that we are actually together?

"No. I'm perfectly fine with it. It's just... duties. Like what I'm about to do."

"You're very different, My Lady." Moros says. "You must trust His Highness very much."

Okay, I've had enough of this.

       Moros throws back his head and lets out a hearty laughter at Enid's love story. Enid is one of my patients, an older woman, whose husband lost his life to the disease...and she's also carrying his baby.

"You almost threw him off the cliff? Because he touched your hair?" I ask incredulously, trying to control my own laughter.

"Yes," Enid grins, not showing any remorse. "But that's how we fell in love. He was a really good man, very helpful and supportive. I'm not sure I can ever find a man like him."

"You would. Your baby will continue both your legacies. You will see your husband in them when they grow. Even if you die, your legacy will continue with your baby." Moros says.

"Have you ever fallen in love, My Lady?" Enid asks, shocking me.

"Yes," I say, casting my mind back to Hudson. "He is an asshole."

Moros smiles. "He can be sometimes."

"You are the last of your kind, the people of Sansora, right?" Enid asks.

I nod. "I am."

"That makes you special. And priceless. You are very compassionate enough to have decided to help us...the murderers." Enid remarks. "But I assure you that Sansora will rise again, once a generation of your children come into existence."