THE OBLIGATION

[EVA'S POV]

I plop down heavily on the large bed in the room Britney showed me before she left. And the images of the hundreds of sick and dying people in the clinic never left my head. I wanted to heal them badly even though I didn't know them. There were pregnant women, children, old men... and their riches and telekinesis couldn't even save them. It was a bad sight to see.

They could lose their lives to the endemic in a matter of hours, considering the number of people Moros had reported dead. Whoever Sutr was, she was hell bent on destroying Exyclott just as they did to Sansora. That was bad news.

"Why did you agree to heal my brother?" a voice booms, filling the room with rage. I sit up from the bed to see Ace standing in front of me.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You agreed to heal Hudson if he renounced his throne." Ace says.

"Yes. Is that bad? You're getting your throne back and your brother is going to survive ALS."

"He's better off dead." Ace insists, towering over my smaller figure.

"Ace, it's high time you forgave your brother. He's fixing everything." I coax.

"Did you not see the condition of the people earlier? Hudson has already destroyed half of the population and property. What he deserves is death. Not life, death. That man doesn't deserve to be breathing."

"Ace, you're not much more offended than me. Because of Hudson, I don't have a family. Not even one. But that was in the past. Hudson has seen the consequences of his actions and he's a changed man now. That's all that matters."

"So you forgive him? So easily? You Sansorans are so soft."

"It's good to have a warm heart, Ace. I think you should forgive him too. At least for what he's doing for you."

"You make it sound like he owes he something. But that throne is mine. He is just doing what he has to do. I'm not giving him a standing ovation for that." Ace barks.

I sigh. "Ace..."

"...if you heal my brother, I'll never forgive you. He doesn't deserve any help from you. But if you are not willing to let him die, I'll do it myself." Ace turns to leave but I run to grab his hand. Damn his hand is large. He stops in his tracks to stare at my hand holding his. I take it as a sign of discontentment and let go off him.

"Ace," I plead. "Please don't do it. Don't kill Hudson. It's not right."

"Do not advise me on what is right. You know nothing about laws and justice."

"You'll regret it. Look, everyone deserves a second chance." I say. "Even if you kill Hudson, it won't bring your father back, or the people of Sansora. Neither will it bring back the dead people of Exyclott. It will accomplish absolutely nothing."

Ace unclenches his fist and looks away. Maybe he's changing his mind. But I must say he looks adorable when he's mad.

"Think about it, you can rule together. Nothing will change."

Ace nods stiffly. "Okay. Since you still seem to love him, go ahead and heal him. But just know you'll regret it." he turns away and leaves.

I sigh with relief and say grace. Thank God for my good negotiation skills and my sweet voice. Hopefully, no one is dying today. Oh Eva, you're good at this.

And what did he mean by me still loving Hudson? I really don't. In fact, he's long gone from my heart. I'm only helping because that's what is right.

"Lady Eva..." a group of young ladies of my age in long clothes enter with their head bowed. "King Zydus has summoned everyone to the forecourt for an important announcement. He wishes that you wear these clothes for the gathering and we have been ordered to dress you up." the tallest of them says.

I look at the dress in her hand. It's a long white silk gown with a V Neck. It's really beautiful. I can't believe I'm going to have to wear this.

This is all new to me. Wasn't I the same person serving junk food at the Sanchez diner three months ago? Time does fly.

Please don't forget to comment. I want to know how this story is going for you. Also vote if you liked it. Thank you  💜💙💛💚

🎵
Song recommendations:
So Am I by Ava Max 👌
Daylight by Fuse ODG 👌