THE SUSPICION

[EVA'S POV]

Ace looks down teasingly at my transfixed self with a smile playing on his lips as I try to explain. I literally have a conversation with my mind, begging it to give me a suitable lie.

"Um, well Damaris was congratulating me on the patients'...well-being. And then I hugged him...me, not him." I say. "It's nothing, really. You don't have to be jealous."

He sighs and grabs my shoulders. "I'm not...jealous. I'm worried. You looked sad. Are you okay?"

"Oh I'm fine. I wasn't sad, you were just imagining things." I deny.

"Hm," He nods skeptically. "I'll choose to believe that. How many people did you heal today?" he asks, unfolding his arms.

His words make me uncomfortable and remind me again of the powers I just lost. How can I tell him about it? To distract him, I hook my arm with his and begin to lead him away from the clinic's entrance, before he notices the same number of sick people.

"Fifteen." I shamefully lie. "The usual. What did you find?"

Upon asking that question, I notice his anger building, as his jaw ticks and clenches. I wonder what was wrong. "Hudson is getting help. I never imagined he could, but he did."

"From who?" I ask.

"Ekon Khan. You know, the guy you once saw talking to Hudson with the lightning bolt on his armor?"

"Oh, so it is him! Is he your enemy or something?"

"He's not my enemy. He even barely knows me because I've spent most of my time here in the dungeon. He's Hudson's enemy, but they both managed to form an alliance against me." he explains. "People will put their enmity aside for anything."

I feel my mind getting filled with paranoia, and I tense a little as I ask: "So there is going to be an attack?"

"Yes." he replies.

"There is going to be blood and stuff everywhere?" I ask again, not actually wanting to. But I needed to, not that the obvious answer will calm me down.

He nods. "Yes, including Hudson's blood."

Gah! That's going to be ugly and repulsive. "I wish I didn't have to see any of that." I blurt out foolishly.

He sighs and stops walking to face me. "Then don't. You can just leave. Exyclott is no longer safe. Don't you understand? You don't have to feel guilty."

"Like I said, no one is going to hurt me. Well, because of my healing abilities.... " I trail off. What am I doing? What am I saying? This is not reassuring, this is stupid. I have no powers. I can't protect anyone anymore. Not even myself.

"Eva?" Ace calls, bringing me back to reality. "Are you okay? You hesitated."

"No. I'm...I'm fine. I was just..."

"You're scared." he claims, putting my face between his palms. "I can see it in your eyes. I don't like seeing you like this. It makes me scared too. So please leave. Okay?"

He's pleading. I don't want to leave him alone. But I can't protect him either. And if he finds out, he'll personally drag me away from Exyclott. And I don't want any of that.