THE CUPID'S VISIT

[EVA'S POV]

"Good morning," Baxter greets me with a smile, which fades once Ace joins us in the kitchen, leans against the granite counter and folds his arms intimidatingly.

"Good morning." Ace responds with a smirk. Baxter frowns and looks away from him to me with a frantic look.

"Wait, why are you giving me the eye? I swear I didn't peek on you two last night when you were screwi..."

"Baxter," I cut in with a warning glare. "That's not the point. Ace and I are returning to Exyclott today."

"T-today?" Baxter stutters, looking shocked. "Isn't that too early?"

"That's what I said, but Ace is restless. He wants to return to his people immediately."

"Why?" Baxter asks with a squint your of his eyes.

"Why?" Ace repeats with a humorless chuckle. "I'm a king. It's my duty to..."

"Yeah, I know what kings do." Baxter cuts him off, rolling his eyes. "You're hurt. Are you sure you're well enough to return home?"

"Thanks for your concern, Baxter, but I'm an Exyclottan warrior. My wounds won't stop me from performing my duties."

Baxter shrugs. "Okay. You can leave then. After you've had breakfast though."

I gaze at him critically and realize that behind his nonchalant expression, he is actually worried and heartbroken. I immediately feel loved. He doesn't want me to leave just yet.

"Baxter," I say softly, placing my hand on his shoulder to get his attention. "We want you to come stay with us. For a few days. In Exyclott."

His eyes instantly widen in shock. "What?"

I nod with a smile. "Yes. If not, this is probably the last time we meet. But Exyclott is an amazing place, you'll love it." I assure him.

He immediately drags me to a safe corner away from Ace's line of hearing.
"Won't there be wars and stuff? What if I get killed? Your boyfriend will protect you, but he'll definitely not protect me. He always looks like he wants to squish me."

"Ace is a king. As long as you're under his tutelage, it's his duty to protect you from any harm. It was even his idea to bring you along. Plus now that Hudson is dead, there's no reason for war."

"It was his idea to bring me along? Did you beg him to do it?"

"No. He's actually very considerate." I say fervently with an encouraging smile. I don't know why Baxter thinks ill of Ace so much.

Baxter looks over my shoulder at Ace before nodding. "Alright." he agrees. "I'll tag along."

"Yes!" I squeal and engulf him in a hug, my heart filled with excitement and satisfaction. He hugs me back, laughing at my actions.

"If you guys are done, can we start packing?" Ace growls behind us, causing Baxter to pull away from me. He scurries away to his room to park, leaving me and Ace alone.

"I've never seen you that happy." Ace says, putting his hands into the pockets of his sweat pants which hung loosely on his taut waist.