THE NEWS

[EVA'S POV]

The door to my former apartment opens revealing Baxter wearing sweatpants and his hair messy.

"Hi." I squeal and reach in to hug him. "I missed you, Baxter."

"Oh, now you remember that I exist?" he says, not returning the hug.

"Come on. I always did."

"You didn't. Especially after you met that not so good looking billionaire and moved in with him. You totally forgot about me."

"Well, I'm here now. And I have good news. But I'd like to give it to you over a cup of coffee." I grin.

Baxter spurts his coffee all over the table, startling me. I'm not surprised at all, when ever he's alone with me, his gentlemanliness goes straight to the bin.

"You're getting married?" he asks with surprise.

"Why do you sound like I just said I was going on a mission to kill Donald Trump?" I laugh. "I mean, it isn't that bad, is it?"

"I remember the day you told me you guys got together. That was like what, yesterday?"

I lean back in my chair. "I don't have a problem with that. I have everything figured out about him and vice versa."

Baxter sighs. "Does he know you have wet dreams about Trai Byers and mention his name in your sleep?"

I give him a horrified look. "No, why should he know that? It's not important."

"I know it." Baxter shrugs.

"You're my best friend."

"Your future husband should be your best friend." he says matter-of-factly.

I sigh. "Did you tell Marie you masturbate when you're upset?"

"Yes." he replies, as if it's the easiest thing to do. "And she said she does the same too."

I cock an eyebrow at him. "That's the difference. You're weird, I'm not. I can't give Hudson cringe worthy information like that."

"Okay, fine. Does Hudson know you hate cheese, but you love cheese burgers?"

"Why are you asking me all that?"

"I just want to make sure you know each other well, that's all."

"You're ridiculous. What you have to do is be happy that I found love. Okay, Baxter?"

He flinches. "Congratulations." he mutters.

"Thank you. And everything is fine. So be happy."

"I'm happy." he claims, forcing a grin. "See?"

"You're not. Clearly. Is there a problem? Did you walk into him cooking cocaine?" I ask worriedly.

"No. I just don't like the dude. He's just too perfect and has everything...you're too happy all the time. I mean, is there ever a time you guys argued?"

I purse my lips at him. "No. That just means we don't disagree on anything. Just perfect." I say, then eye him suspiciously. "Don't tell me you have a secret crush on me and you're doing all this because you're jealous."

A shocked expression takes over his face as he denies. "What? Why would you think that? I'm just concerned about you. You watch too many movies."

"Baxter, I was just kidding... " I trail off, laughing.

"Don't flatter yourself. I always used to wonder who on earth in his right state of mind would marry you one day. And then you met Hudson and everything makes sense now." he snaps, knocking the toothy grin off my face.

"That was so mean!" I gasp, slapping his thigh.

"Touché."

"I'm gonna change my mind about making you my makeup artist, Baxter." I say, picking my bag and pretending to leave.

"Wait, what?"

I turn around and fold my arms. "You heard me right. Hudson asked me if I had any person in mind who I'd like to deck me up for my wedding and I chose you. Amongst all the most popular make up artists Hudson knew."

"You did?" Baxter asks, his gratitude showing in his smile.

"Yes. And I'm going to change my mind because you're being an asshole."

Baxter takes my hands pleadingly and puts them against his solid chest.

"No, no no. I'm so sorry. I'd love to do your makeup for your wedding. Why pay someone else when I can do it for free?" he says, giving me puppy eyes.

"Don't worry, Hudson has more than enough money." I smirk.

"But I'm your best friend. Let me do something for you at least."

"You can join the congregation with Marie in the pews and grouch throughout the wedding since you're invited."

"Evaaa!!" he whines. "What can I do to change your mind?"

"Just be happy for me. Genuinely. You're all I have. No parents, nothing. So if you're not happy for me, who would?"

"Alright. I'm happy for you. If you're happy, I'm happy."

I put on a smile. "Good. Now you're back on track."

He pulls me into a tight hug. "Thank you. I'll make sure you look very beautiful, that Hudson would realize how much he doesn't deserve you."

"Baxter."

"Seriously, I would've murdered anyone who was chosen besides me to do your makeup."

I shakes my head incredulously. "Right. So you would murder someone on my wedding day."

"Exactly."

"What if I was going to choose Marie?"

"Shut up, Eva."

What's new?
And what are your thoughts on the book? I'd love to see your comments. Stay safe 💙💚💛💜

🎵
Song recommendations:
Forgetting Me by Efya 👌
Stone Cold by Demi Lovato 👌