THE DEPARTURE

[EVA'S POV]

As I sit next to Ace's body, time slowly passes by. I can hear my soft sobs in the deafening silence. Athena is crying too along with the other handmaidens as if they were obligated to do so. A small voice at the back of my head kept telling me that Ace was not dead. But I didn't want to reassure myself too much, because I was trying not to feel guilty for not being able to save him.

At the same time, it felt odd to see him so still. And lifeless. I was compelled to believe or rather imagine that he was not gone. He can't just be gone. Who will rule Exyclott? It was all over now, Hudson is dead right next to him. The coast was clear for him to ascend the throne. Why did he have to go?

This was enough reason to believe that he was not really gone. I hear footsteps approach me, but I don't tear my eyes away  from Ace's body.

"My Lady..." I hear Moros's dejected voice above me.

"He's not dead." I hear myself mutter. His hand touches my shoulder soothingly. I notice his hand is thoroughly coated in blood which stains my white gown, but I'm too busy with my other emotions to feel nauseous.

I close my eyes and exhale feeling comforted by his fatherly touch. "Get Damaris here immediately, please." I say after a while.

"Damaris died." Moros says, earning a gasp from me and the handmaidens. I slowly turn my head in his direction, completely awestruck.

"What?" I breathe out.

"Yes, My Lady. My brother died. Damaris stood in front of me and took an arrow. That arrow was meant to go through my heart. But it went through his instead." he says, his voice filled with remorse and guilt. I take his bloody hand from my shoulder and stroke it with mine, more to comfort myself than him.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know he was your brother. But he was a good person, he didn't deserve to die like this."

"He did his best to serve Exyclott. He died to save it. He was only a physician, but he acted like a true warrior." I notice tears in his eyes which he blinks back to get rid of them. I want to tell him it's okay to cry, but he wouldn't listen to me anyway. Man pride.

He honkers down next to me and ties a piece of cloth tightly around Ace's injured leg to stop the bleeding. "He's only asleep." he says with a small smile. "Sutr wouldn't let him die after all the sacrifices people have made to keep him alive."

"You really think so?" I ask sceptically.

"His wounds just need to be treated, My Lady. His legs are deeply injured. His wounds are deep."

"I wish I could help, but my powers..."

"I know. And Damaris wasn't the one who told me about it. I know that if you had your powers you would never leave him behind." Moros says smiling. "Besides me, he had no one else. And I wouldn't always be there. I'm not growing any younger. You are all he has now, My Lady."

"I'm completely useless right now. How will he survive now that Damaris is not around to make him medicines?"

"Take him to a hospital. The ones in the city."

"You mean all the way back to Pinefort?"

Moros nods. "With all their technology, they might be able to save him. You must go right away before he loses a lot of blood. Leave now."

"But..."

"I'll take charge of Exyclott till he returns. I promise you that it'll be in safe hands. It's my duty as his second in command." Moros assures me, picking up Ace's body in one swoop.

A hand tugs at my gown and I look down to see Otis looking up at me with sadness in his eyes.

"Are you leaving us My Lady?" he asks.

I bend down and cup his face in my palms. "Yes. The King is unwell. But I'll be back with him. Fit and fine."

"Who will take care of me when you're gone? Who will I have Math lessons with?"

"Athena. She'll take care of you while I'm gone."

Otis turns around to look at her, then he turns back to me with a frown. "She's not nice. She's not like you."

I chuckle. "She will be. Right, Athena?" I look at her questioningly. She nods stiffly.

"See? You'll be fine." I assure him with a smile. "In fact you're fine on your own. You protected me like a real man. You could be taking care of everyone instead. Even Moros."

He puffs out his chest in pride. "Of course I can. I am a warrior of Exyclott."

I lean in and hug him tightly. "Thank you Otis. You're a treasure."

✴✴✴

Whiles Ace's bodyguard Nikolaus carries me in his arms, Moros has Ace's body in his and they both levitate us to the border where a car was parked waiting. I open the door to the car and Moros lays Ace's body at the backseat.

"What about the Elvarians?" I ask him.

"They'll retreat when they realize that Zydus is dead. Ekon Khan will spend the rest of his life in the Exyclottan dungeon." Moros answers.

I nod in understanding and make my way over to the driver's seat.

"My Lady." Moros calls after me. I turn around in response.

"Ace is like a son to me. Please make sure he's okay. I made a promise to Nixon that I would protect his son. Now it's your duty as his beloved."

I nod with a smile and go to hug him, though he slightly groans in disapproval. I don't care if it was inappropriate according to Exyclottan law to hug Moros, the man saved my life. This is the least I could do.

"Ace might not tell you, but he sees you as his father too." I say, pulling away. "And he loves you very much."

"Ah!" he exclaims with a laugh. "He will never admit it but I know he does. I love him too."

"Thank you, Moros. For everything." I say, and I couldn't have been any sincerer.

Thoughts? Please let me know them and please vote if you like this. Thanks in advance if you do.  💙💚💛💜

🎵
Song Recommendation: Dusk Till Dawn by Zayn Malik  👌