THE LOVERS

[ACE'S POV]

Moros bangs his fist against the cast iron gate of the underground cell, while I put my hands behind me and wait for the imbecile to approach me.

Ekon Khan emanates from the murky darkness of the cell, both hands and legs chained, the corner of his lips bruised. He trudges slowly towards us and wraps his fingers around the iron bars of the gate, an ureadable expression gracing his face.

"Your Highness," he speaks out. "You're alive."

"I'm disappointed they didn't rip off your arm which you'd used to hurt my beloved. That would've brought me more satisfaction than being alive." I say, giving him a hard look. "As far as I know, Exyclott holds no grudge against Elvaris. We both work together to protect Glemstone. And I personally dislike people who meddle in the affairs of others. So tell me, why would you want to help my brother overthrow me?"

"Trust me, I was going to betray him after you died. I didn't want to do it, but Elvaris went bankrupt and we needed the money." he stuttered. "Hudson promised."

"Pitiful." I scoff. "Did you know what would've happened if I actually died? Hudson was already walking around with a curse on his head. You'll have brought another curse onto your own people, but all you cared about was money. It's very obvious you're not fit to be king."

"Ace, I'm sorry. I was helpless...and stupid. I am begging for your forgiveness."

"There's no need for that, Ekon, because I'm going to kill you anyway. You took Damaris away from me. You slaughtered my warriors. You even dared to touch Otis. You wanted to capture the only Sansoran left for Hudson. So do you know what I'm going to do?" I growl, tightening my grip on the metal bars. "I'm going to behead you and hang your head on the flag of Exyclott. Also I am going to add Elvaris to my territories. Your people would live under my rule."

"B-But please! I have a son, Ace! Please spare my life. I wasn't going to torture the Sansoran. In fact, I was going to protect her..."

My fist rams into his face before he can continue. He staggers back, cupping his broken nose.

"Don't you ever..." I growl. "...speak of protection. You're far from that."

"Your Highness...." Moros touches my shoulder to calm me down.

"Ace, the Sansorans used to live close to Elvaris before they were captured by the Exyclottans." Ekon speaks out, walking towards me again. "Until they were captured, they were healing our soldiers, making us immortal. I was angry at Hudson as well for killing them all and taking them away from the Elvarians. It was my plan to protect the last one of them too. Trust me, I may not be as evil as you think."

"It's because of the same Hudson you were trying to help that Eva has been stripped of her powers. I'd be foolish to believe you actually want to protect her. You were helping the same person who wanted to hurt her."

"What?" he asks, looking perplexed. "She no longer has her powers? How?"

"She used them to bring me from the dead. And now she lost them. She might not know this, but I'm worried for the next generation of Sansorans to come. They might not have their legitimate powers too, all because of Hudson whom you were assisting."

Ekon chuckles softly, shaking his head. "You don't have to worry, Ace. The next generation of Sansorans shall have their healing powers as they should. As long as she has the tattoo on her neck."

I frown, going closer to hear more. "What do you mean?"

"The healing powers of Sansora are not inherited. They are gifted from Sutr herself. As long as you're born of a Sansoran woman, you would have it, regardless of whether she has her powers or not. Only and only if the mark of Sansora still remains on her neck. I know this for sure." Ekon tells me.