THE DEFIANCE

Hudson pulls away from me with astonishment at my words, stands up from my bed and faces me with arms folded.

"That's going to be a tough decision, Eva." he says.

"It's not tough. The throne of Exyclott doesn't belong to you."

He winces. "If I renounce my throne, I'll lose everything. I'll be down to nothing. I'll lose my company, my possessions, my reputation."

"It's not as precious as your life." I say, glaring at him.

Hudson shakes his head. "I'd rather die than live with the distrust of my people. I'd rather die than lose all what I've worked so hard for in my life."

I glare at him incredulously, shaking my head in awe that a man could be so selfish. "It's not all about you, Hudson. Think about your people. You are making them pay for your stupid decisions as king. It's time to put everything right with your people and your brother."

"They were not stupid decisions, Eva. I killed the people of Sansora because I had to listen to my people. I wanted to do what they wanted so that they'll accept me as their one true king and be happy with me. I felt like if I got them the jewel from Sansora, I'll be their saviour."

I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration.  "You know what I don't get about you? It is the fact that you want something that is not yours, want to protect it but did a bad job at preserving it and other people are suffering the consequences. And you think you have a heart enough to claim you love me. If you can't have love for a place you were born, for your own blood brother...then how can you genuinely love me, a stranger? Who knows, after I heal you and your people, your ego might get hurt again and you'll have me killed. After all, I'm not any different from the Sansorans you slaughtered because of your pride and ego." I retort.

Hudson's brows crease with concern as he comes to grab my hands again."Eva, I would never..."

"The people aren't always right, Hudson." I cut in, pulling my hands away. "I'm living proof of the consequences of your actions. I'm the very last of a whole nation that you destroyed. This is what makes you unfit to be king."

Hudson looks away and his jaw clenches. "I deeply regret my actions, I really do. But I cannot renounce my throne. I believe I deserve to be on it still, better than anyone else. My mother believes in me. And I need you to believe in me too. Despite what has happened, we can both agree that everyone makes mistakes. All I need is a second chance, that's all. And that's why I...that's why I need you. A king can only be replaced if he dies."

At this point, I can't take anymore of him. There's just still a monster inside of him though he's trying to hide it. I nod stiffly. "Then so be it. If you're going to be stubborn, I won't stop you. But I can never trust you and I'm never giving you my healing until you change your mind."

"Eva..."

"I'm leaving. I'm going to Baxter's." I say, heading towards the bathroom to wash my face. "Call me when you decide to give back what's not yours. If not, rest in peace."

✴✴✴✴

I knock twice on Baxter's door and he opens it. He screams with surprise when he sees me and wraps his arms around me in a tight embrace. My poor skeletal system.

"Oh my God, Eva!! You don't know how much I've been worrying about you. I thought you were gone forever. Where have you been?" he asks, letting go off me.

"I was kidnapped." I say plainly, entering the house.

"I've been listening to Billie Eilish ever since you left. I missed you, Eva."

I look at him and smile. "Me too."

"What happened? Who kidnapped you and how? Tell me everything, I'll call the cops."

"No, don't do that. My kidnapper is a pathetic one. He didn't harm me in any way."

"So what did he want from you?"

"Revenge."

Baxter squints. "Revenge? Is it the guy you kicked in the nuts at the subway for calling me a douche?"

"No, Baxter. You're so stupid." I shake my head. "You see, I have...supernatural powers."

Baxter steps back and stares at me like I grew a penis. "What?"

"Yes, I'm telling the truth."

"No. I think you're delusional. What did the fuckface do to you? Did he hit your head?" Baxter asks, paranoid, turning on the coffee maker.

"I do have powers, Baxter."

"No, no, no. When Wendy Williams said women got the power, she meant something else. You got her all wrong. Don't let it get into your head."

I sigh and walk over to the stove. Then I switch it on and put my hand in it.

"What the fuck Eva?!! Get your hands outta there!" Baxter shrieks rushing over to me.

"Baxter..."

"Shut up."He snaps, switching off the stove and grabbing my hand. "That's just too masochist."

"I'll be fine." I retort as Baxter leads me to the sink to put my hand under running water.

"Let go off my hand, Steele. Now!" I yell at him, and to my surprise, he lets go off me with a start.

"What's....what's wrong with you?" he breathes out.

"I'm trying to show you something, assface. Just watch and learn." I tell him, and withdraw my hand from beneath the faucet.

"Now there's a scar," I say, showing him my horribly burnt hand. Then I touch it with my other hand and show him my perfectly healed and spotless hand. "and then there isn't."

Baxter gasps and steps back. Before he could scream and disturb the neighbors, I cover his mouth with my hand and drag him away from the kitchen.

"Baxter," I call.

"Mhm?" his voice is muffled, his eyes look scared.

"Stop freaking out."

He grins nervously beneath my hand and nods stiffly. "Hmm."

I take my hand off his mouth and study him for a while for him to recover from his shock.

"So you... you...heal fast?" he stammers.

"Yes. I'm a supernatural."

"A what?"

"You see the tattoo on my neck, it's my identity. And it's a long story too."

"Who told you all this?"

"Ace. Aka Hudson's brother. Aka my kidnapper." I say. "He told me everything I needed to know about myself. And you were right, Hudson isn't what he seems."

"What do you mean by that? And where did you get those powers from?"

I smile a little and say: " I'm the last of Sansora, Baxter."

🎵
Song Recommendation:
Bad Reputation  👌
Dionysus by BTS