THE TRIP

The ride to Glemstone is very quiet and awkward. Hudson is on my right, looking very confident and decisive. I'm still in shock about the fact that Hudson had actually decided to give up his throne for Ace.

We had picked Ace up from his home. He's got a bandage around his head, and had refused to let me heal his head injury. He was not happy to see his brother, but his mood got better after Hudson told him all his intentions.

Elinor sat at the front seat, obviously not happy with her son's decision, but I was impressed that Hudson wouldn't change his mind no matter what his mother said. Her friendly look for me disappeared after she had begged me to take back my 'cruel' condition and I refused.

I noticed that Hudson was her favorite son for some reason, the way she clung to him and talk to him softly. She treated Ace like a plague and I was still trying to figure out why. She never spoke to him when they met, just gave an expression that showed she was surprised but not happy to see him.

It seems everyone had assumed that Ace died after escaping from Hudson's dungeon. Britney gasped when she saw him like he was some ghost. Why was this family acting awkward towards Ace? After staying with him for a few days, I can say he's not a bad person but he wasn't treated well, making him cold and vengeful.

Everyone had lied to me about Ace, painted him black, ruining his reputation... even Britney. Their hatred was blatant, but he didn't care. I cared for him, though. How will you live if your own family is against you?

The car screeched to a halt, causing the soft grass below it to blow off in many different directions. Glemstone was a big land, about 45 percent belonging to Exyclott. Exyclott had only occupied 25 percent, but earned another 20 percent after they added the dead land of Sansora to theirs.

Hudson said we were at the border which separated Elvaris from Exyclott. I descend from the car, taking a full view of area. The difference between Elvaris and Exyclott was very saddening. Standing at the border, Elvaris, which was to my right had bright green grass, flowing water, a bright sky, beautiful people. But to my left, where Exyclott was established, the land was layered with dry and coarse sand.

Maybe, I was using my supernatural instinct to know that the kingdom almost smelled of no life. It was dull and unlively.

"What have I done?" Hudson breathes out next to me. His green eyes are filled with melancholy. His mother puts her hand on his shoulder to calm him. But more than anyone here, Ace needs calming the most.

His fist is clenched, his jaw tightened and his eyes filled with rage. He looks like he wants to kill someone. I hope it was not me for agreeing to heal his brother.

"You abandoned our people and brought a curse upon our land." he barks at Hudson, facing him and breathing into his face.

"It was a mistake, Ace. Please forgive your brother." Elinor speaks.

"No," Hudson interjects, looking straight ahead at the barren land. "I don't deserve anyone's forgiveness, not even mine. But I'm going to make things right. I'll give the people their king."

Ace looks at him, but says nothing. All there is to say are in his eyes. All of a sudden, a man with a large cloak comes floating in the air. Ah, telekinesis. Levitation.

The man stops in front of us and bows down. He is thin with balding gray hair, green eyes, and a few wrinkles. He was old enough to be Hudson's father. But I knew he was not.

"King Zydus." he says with respect to Hudson, making Ace flinch. Zydus? Was that his supernatural name? Did I have one too? "Lady Elinor."

"Moros. I'm glad you're still alive." Hudson says with a hint of excitement.

"You might have to wear these, Your Highness. The endemic is contagious." Moros takes off his cloak and gloves and gives it to Hudson.

"Thank you." Hudson gives him a small smile.

"Come, let's go to the palace."Moros smiles back.

The palace is huge and looked very old. It was painted white and red with a flag on the peak and quaint interior designs. Ace told me it stood there for over a thousand years. Everyone here had very long straight hair, and wore clothes that didn't show skin. I didn't have to bother about protecting myself from the disease because you know...I've got the power.

Moros leads us to a large room filled with people I never thought existed. The people there were about a hundred, lying on beds, looking sick. Almost all of them had big red spots on their skin, looking very pale. I can't believe I would have to heal all these people one day.

"At least twenty people report to the clinic everyday, Your Highness." Moros says to us.

"How many people died?" Ace asks, looking very troubled.

"We lost count, Prince Ace. A lot of our people and our kingdom warriors lost their lives to the disease. Those affected are irredeemable. The herbalists have tried their best. But even they die. There's no cure." Moros replies.

I look around the room. There are children mostly boys, and even pregnant women on clinic beds. From a distance, I see three people being carried away, probably dead.

"It is getting out of hand, Your Highness. If the people keep dying, Exyclott will be no more. Nothing seems to be cooling the wrath of Sutr." intones Moros. Ace walks out of the room, having enough of the saddening sight.

"I'm sorry for abandoning my people." Hudson says. "I hope they do not hate me."

Moros shakes his head. "They did, but now they're too sick to have any strong emotion. All what the people have is fear. The fear of dying."

We exit the room and stand at the balcony, having a full view of Exyclott. The healthy people are mostly indoors, fear written all over their faces. It's as if they barely recognize their king.

"There is hope, Moros." Hudson says.

"What hope?"

"Meet Eva Cardale. Eva, meet Moros, my advisor." Hudson pulls me from behind him. I smile coyly at Moros who stares at me with confusion.

"Who is she, Your Highness?" Moros asks.

"Eva here, is from Sansora." Hudson tells me.

Moros's green eyes get as wide as saucers upon hearing Hudson's words and he falls down at my feet. I jump back, startled by his actions.

"Um, you don't have to do that. I'm just a..."

"You are from Sansora!! I thought they were all gone. I cannot believe there is one more of your kind. We thought there was no hope. Please forgive us, my lady. We need your help." Moros literally cries.

I look at Hudson for help. This Moros is making me want to recoil. But for the first time in my life, I feel important.

"M-Moros, get up." I stutter. "I am here to help your people. Please get up."

He gets up and takes my hands in his. "You are so kind Miss! I will make sure you get the best of treatment here. Our people really need you."

I simply nod and smile and retract my hand.

"Get Eva a room, Britney." Hudson says. Then he turns to me. "I'll need to talk to Moros for a while."

🎵
Song Recommendation:
Heyba by Edem👌