THE SACRIFICE

[EVA'S POV]

"I'll heal the king."

Moros glares at me in disbelief, his eyes looking worried. "I cannot let you do that, My Lady. That is just ridiculous. You could die. You are the last of Sansora and its only hope. If you lose your life, all that Ace and his mother had worked hard for will be in vain. Your kind will be extinct and..."

"Moros," I say evenly. "I know all the odds. But it's my fault that Ace died and he didn't deserve whatever happened to him. I could've protected him and everyone from Hudson but I didn't. I let my useless compassion come in the way."

"It is a very foolish decision, My Lady. Think about it. Ace wouldn't want you to do this for him. What if you die? You'll leave your life behind."

I close my eyes for a moment and think. "Listen, Moros..."

"My answer is no. As the second in command of the king, I forbid you to do it." Moros interjects sternly. "Leave Exyclott. You don't have to be the people who destroyed you and your people. You've done enough. Go back to your normal life."

"But I can't leave him there like that when I can do something about it." I argue.

Moros places his hands on my shoulders and squeezes them. "What you want to do is not a favor: it's a sacrifice. You have a life. Don't use it to pay for your mistakes."

"Some mistakes are expensive, Moros. Please let me do it. I might not even die. It's an 'if' situation, remember?" I say eagerly, not actually knowing what is going through my brain, which is making me want to risk my life. I have no idea where my bravery came from.

Moros sighs and drops his hands. "The probability of you losing your life is high. I won't let you risk it. Please go to your room and have some rest."

"Please," I beg him. "I don't want Ace to die. I don't want him to leave his people in Hudson's cruel hands."

"Why do you care so much about Exyclott? What has it ever done for you except ruin your life?" Moros asks.

"Exyclott did not destroy my people: Hudson did. And he can do worse to get what he wants. I think I'm the only person left to protect you people. That is why Sutr created us." I say.

Damn, I sound ridiculous. I'm definitely out of my mind. Most definitely.

"Okay," Moros caves. "I'll go and get Damaris.

                                      ❇❇❇

Damaris lights candles around Ace's body, while Moros shuts the doors. I squat down beside Ace's stiff body rethinking what I was about to do. My mind went back to when we first met, when he was pronounced king of Exyclott... how it suited him. How he loved his people. All the good things Moros said about him.

And then I thought about myself. The only person that needed me was right in front of me. Baxter could live without me, I had no family, no kids and no priceless possessions. I was too uneducated to get a better job. I was once useless and irrelevant.

I cast my mind back to my first date with Hudson, when he asked me how I wanted to be remembered. Today it was right in front of my eyes. All I had besides was my healing and I could use it.

I could be remembered after all. I could be remembered as the lady from Sansora who saved Exyclott and gave it its king. I would be a hero, something I never thought I could be. Ace better give me a beffiting burial for saving his life in case I die. I know he'll be super pissed if he came back to life and realised I died to save him.

I cry my last tear and reach to touch the tattoo on my nape.

"Any last words?" Moros asks, looking very reluctant.

I nod. "Tell Ace that it was nice meeting him and that... and that he's a good kisser. And I hope he continues from where Nixon stopped." I say.

Moros winces. "You don't have to do this."

"I know, but I want to." I say. "You're not doing anything against my wish."

Moros nods. "Right. You may proceed."

I stretch my hand towards Ace and touch the spot where he was bleeding. I could feel the wound healing beneath my fingers.
Very soon, everything began to fade around me. Apart from me and Ace, I couldn't see anything else. I was becoming weak, I was trembling, involuntary tears falling from my eyes. Sparks travelled from my body to his. I was breathing heavily, my heart began to fail me.

The last thing I felt was his pulsating heart, before I let out a wail, fell to the floor and everything became pitch black. I couldn't feel myself anymore.

🎵
Echame la Culpa by Demi Lovato ft. Louis Fonsi👌