THE RECOVERY

[EVA'S POV]

[THREE DAYS LATER]

"What do you mean you died?!" Baxter exclaims, pausing his process of zipping up my blouse.

"It was only temporary. I thought I'd never make it out of the afterlife again but miraculously I did. However, I lost my powers due to that." I tell him.

"So you can't heal ever again?"

"I guess so."

"That's rather unfortunate."

I shrug. "But Ace was worth saving. I'm getting reward for that. Even though I didn't do it for reward, I did it out of love."

"Love, huh?"

"Love for the people of Exyclott. The dying people who were affected by the disease. And also well....love for Ace."

"Well, I'm glad you didn't actually die for him. I would've sent him to afterlife too to compensate you."

I laugh shortly. "You're crazy."

"He better love you back. After what you told me about Hudson, I don't think I can trust any Lockmore ever again."

"Trust me, Baxter. Ace is different. He's not like the other Lockmores."

"Different, huh? That word is abused often." Baxter puts in.

"Ace is not like Hudson, okay? I know that very well. So you have nothing to worry about." I tell him, putting on my shoes.

"I hope so."

"Please make something to eat while I'm at the hospital. Ace will be hungry by the time he gets here."

Baxter rolls his eyes. "Fine."

"Please be nice when he gets here. No mean words please. He has a temper so he could literally slit your throat."

"Oh I'm so scared." Baxter says sarcastically.

"I'm not exaggerating." Maybe I am. I know Ace wouldn't slit Baxter's throat. I just used that for emphasis. What's it called...hyperbole?

"Whatever, I'll be nice. Just leave already. I'll show him the works of a real cook when he's back." Baxter declares with a smug look as he ushers me out the door.

✴✴✴

It's been three days since Ace has been unconscious. I've been visiting him often but this time I'm really impatient because he's going to be discharged today. I really couldn't wait to see him.

I walk into his ward on happy feet, where I see him lying down on the bed, still with his eyes closed. I sigh in slight disappointment. I guess I'll have to wait for a few more minutes before he wakes up like the doctor said. I go to sit next to him and stroke his hand gently, studying his face and waiting for his eyes to open. His arms and legs were wrapped in bandages to cover the wounds, his face looked clean. His lips were oh so perfectly fine. That's what mattered most. 

I hear a light groan erupt from him suddenly and I become alert with anticipation, a grin on my face. His eyes slowly open, and there they are! The green crystals, the mysterious looking orbs. The bold and entrancing green eyes. I reach in and hug him as I laugh with excitement as I hold him tighter to me. He returns the hug instantly, but for a while, before pulling away and frowning.