THE RETURN II

The title of this chapter has an "II" attached to it because there's already a chapter called "The Return" and I couldn't find a suitable one word synonym for "return". However, I'm open for your suggestions. Thank you  💙💚💛💜

[EVA'S POV]

[PINEFORT, USA]

A group of nurses rush towards my direction with a stretcher and Ace's body is balanced onto it. I just rushed Ace to the hospital. I have never driven this fast in my life, I could get arrested for reckless driving. I feel like Vin Diesel in Fast and Furious.

"Please make sure he's okay!" I yell after them, clutching at my chest to control my heavy breaths. A nurse nods with the tinniest smile as if to reassure and begins to ramble a lot of medical terms to the other nurses about his injury as they take him away.

Another nurse approaches me with a clipboard in her hand.

"What's your name please?" she asks, pulling out a pen to write down the details.

"Eva Cardale." I reply.

"How are you related to the patient?" she asks again after writing down my name.

I swallow hard before answering the question. "I'm his girlfriend."

She nods. "Can I get the patient's name and why he's injured?"

"His name is Ace Lockmore. He uh, he got into a fight with someone. He got stabbed in different places."

The nurse nods and asks me to sit at the lobby while I wait. I make my way over to the lobby, sit down and bury my face between my knees.

Minutes pass by, and I try to assure myself that he'll be okay. My tears drench the fabric of my dress as I cry softly, and try to steady my breathing. Everything that has happened is overwhelming, I feel inundated. Hudson's death, the shedding of blood right in front of my eyes, the shooting of arrows, clashing of swords....they kept flashing across my mind.

I was really hoping I don't get traumatized. I've never witnessed stuff like that before. And now I was freaking out as my mind reminds me of everything. I could use a cup of coffee and a bear hug right now before I go crazy. And I know just the right person to provide that.

I take out my phone which I've not been able to use for a while due to the bad connection at Exyclott, and dial a number.

"Hello?"

Relief and excitement washes over me as I hear the calm and collected voice of my best friend who I haven't seen or talked to in a long time. I even forget that I was gloomy just seconds ago. For a moment, I'm not able to say anything, just a stupid grin plastered across my face.

"Hello?" he repeats, his voice still calm but sounding expectant and confused. "Please tell me this is who..."

"Baxter!" I cut in excitedly. "Oh, Baxter, I miss you so much. It's good to hear your voice again."

"Eva?!" he shrieks excitedly, his voice booming loudly in my ears.

"Is it really you?!" he asks. I could imagine him shooting up from his seat and knocking a poor object onto the floor.