THE AMBUSH

[ACE'S POV]

"Read my lips, Ace. I'm not going anywhere."

I look into Eva's eyes and I can tell she's darn serious. She's really not going to listen to me. How can I possibly make her understand that this place is no longer safe? That I don't want her to make any more sacrifices.

"Okay," I give in half heartedly. "It's not as if I can change your mind."

She puts her hands on either sides of my face and looks at me assuringly. "I'm here for you. I want to help, and the power is in the touch of my hands."

I force a smile. "I know. Please get something to eat, you are probably hungry."

She gasps and clutches at her stomach. "You're so damn right! There's very little food in the afterlife. I was hoping you could join me there so that I could feed on your lips."

I chuckle at her very amusing sense of humor. "Sure you did." I plant a kiss on her lips. "I need to go and discuss Hudson with Moros. Call Athena if you need anything."

She nods in understanding and waves me off. I meet Moros and Damaris waiting at the back of the door. We walk all the way down the hallway, discussing strategy.

"After finding out about Hudson trying to kill you and planning a coup d'etat, some Exyclottans may stand up to him when he decides to revolt." Moros points out.

"Yes, and Hudson is smart enough to know that. The people are against him already. First he abandoned Exyclott in time of crisis and travelled off to the States to make money. In fact, he's the reason why Sutr brought the disease." Damaris adds.

I nod in understanding. "There is a full unoblivious and alert army of Exyclottans ready to fight him. So since he wouldn't be able to throw me down so easily, he'll need a full army."

"But he wouldn't be able to turn the Exyclottan warriors against you, Your Highness." says Moros. "He'll probably go for help from a rival kingdom."

I raise an eyebrow at my second in command. "You think anyone would agree to assist Hudson revolt against me, Moros? No one would want to."

Damaris sighs and shakes his head. "Then how would he possibly revolt? We must know his intentions before we can form a plan."

"Well, I'm convinced now that he's not going to be able to do it alone. So I need you to get our army prepared. We must be very alert. No one in, no one out and we must protect...." I'm suddenly interrupted by Nikolaus who comes rushing towards us.

"Your Highness! You must protect yourself." Nikolaus says. "There has been an ambush. We found ten of our border protection warriors dead."

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴

Moros, Nikolaus and I reach the border of Exyclott. Our eyes fall on ten decimated border soldiers. I drop to a squatting position beside one of them, thighs spread apart with his elbows resting on them, hands hanging between. I examine the warriors body critically, noticing that there were multiple strokes of wounds across the chest. The sight was overwhelming.

"Your Majesty, look!" Moros points at a long trail of dents in the ground. The surface of the ground had cracked around us.

"It's as if the land was struck by..." I trail off, finding it hard to accept reality.

"...lightning." Moros finishes off, critically examining the dents on the ground.

I stand up to my feet. "Lightning... I think Hudson is being helped by the Elvarian army, Moros." I say with realization.

"Ekon Khan agreed to help Hudson? I thought they loathed each other." Moros says incredulously.

My mind casts back to when Eva told me about Hudson and Ekon Khan talking about debts.

"Did Exyclott have to fight any battles in my absence whiles Hudson was king?" I ask Moros.

"Yes, against Jregon." he answers.

"But how did we go for the war? Our warriors were striken with a great disease."

Moros gasps. "I think I'm getting the hang of it. Half our warriors were dead, and so the warriors from Elvaris helped us in the war. After all, Your Majesty, we share the same border."

I smirk. "I see. So this is all for payment."

Hey there! Here I am dissapointing you with another short chapter.  I'm sorry lol. Please remember to vote if you liked it. And leave your comments too. Thanks  💙💚💛💜

🎵
Song recommendation:

Take Care of You by Adina Ft. Stonebwoy👌
I'm Your Angel by Celine Dion ft. R. Kelly 👌