She's gone

Third person POV in the E.R.

The doctors tried everything they could. But the bullet was too close to her heart. There was so much blood they couldn't even get to the bullet. They used all the suction they could use. But more and more just oozed out. But apparently something ripped and blood hit the doctor in the face. He pulled back and quickly wiped away the blood from his eyes. He went back to trying to fix whatever was wrong. But it was too much. They used enough suction. But it just wasn't enough. Because the heart machine went berserk. "Damn it!", the doctor yelled out.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear'

He tried harder and harder. But it just wasn't enough. Her heart just wouldn't start. He tried with the paddles. "Clear!", he yelled. Her chest went up. But nothing. "Clear!", he yelled. But still nothing. "Clear!", he yelled once more. But still nothing. He was growing angry. With himself. He wasn't going to lose this patient. "Clear!", he yelled in anger. She wasn't a bad person. He could tell. She had her daughter here. He could remember. He was the one to watch over her daughter and wipe her off as she was born.

"I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear
I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear'

This little girl needed her mother. He can't lose her. He can't lose her!

"Clear!", he yelled.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay...'

But nothing. Her heart never started again. "Damn it!", he yelled. He looked down at the floor in shame and in sadness. "She's gone", he whispered. He looked up. "Close her up, I'm going to have to tell Stephen", he said. He walked out of the E.R.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear'

He still had blood on his shirt and on his hands. His face saddened. He hesitated before walking into the hallway and made his way to the waiting room.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear
I think you broke my heart again'

He walked into the waiting room to see Stephen crying in Christine's arms. It was like he knew. He walked up to the two. He cleared his throat. The two broke up and looked up at the doctor. He can see Stephens red blood shot eyes. "She's dead isn't she?", he said. His voice was raspy. He knew it. His soulmark was gone. It had faded. She was gone and he knew it. He didn't need to be told by the doctor to know she was dead. His heart felt empty and he felt a huge void.

The doctor nodded sadly. "I'm sorry Stephen, we tried everything we could, we just couldn't get her heart to start again", he said softly. He saw Stephen crying again. More tears rolled down his cheeks. He's never seen such a sight and that's what made it hurt more.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear
I think you broke my heart again'

More tears welled up in Stephens eyes. They fell as they may. Christine hugged him. Stephen laid his hands out flat. He dropped his head and looked at his hands.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear
I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear'

He let the tears roll down his face. They rolled until they rolled off of his chin and onto his hands. He just sat there. He didn't move. He didn't even know he was evening breathing. He didn't even know his heart was beating. He didn't even feel the arms wrap around him.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay...'

He just sat there like a zombie. He didn't move at all. The only thing that showed that he was still alive was the tears rolling down his cheeks.

Christine rubbed his back. She hated that he was going through so much pain. She knew they weren't meant to be together. She knew that Stephen had a soulmate. But it hurt her heart that she knew his soulmate was dead and now Stephen was hurting and mourning. She was going to be there to help him.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear'

She rubbed his back again. She felt him tense up. She rubbed his back softly. She whispered soft words into his ear. Comfort was the only thing she could think of. He spent hours sitting there. She could see the tears rolling down his cheeks. He looked tired and defeated. His eyes looked soulless. He looked like he just broke completely. And she hated that.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear
I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay with me my dear'

She watched as he just collapsed in exhaustion. She gasped and got up. She had help with bringing him back up onto the chair. She sighed. She ran a hand through her hair. She walked over to the doctor. "Can he see her?", she asked him. He nodded. He looked over to Stephen who was resting in the chair in the waiting room. "Once he wakes up that is", he said. She nodded. "Thank you James", she said. She walked to one of the closets. She grabbed a pillow and walked back to the waiting room. She walked over Stephen and put the pillow under his head and made sure he was comfortable. She bent down and kissed his forehead. "I'm sorry Stephen, I'm so sorry", she whispered to him. She sat down next to him. She leaned over and placed her hands on her face. She sighed. This night has just not gotten any easier.

'I think you broke my heart again
Please don't leave and take my hand
Drowning inside these holes of fear
Take my hand and stay...'