Day #18 Doing Something Together

This was an AU where instead of John in the well, Euros put Sherlock in the well. John has to find him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sherlock couldn't breathe. He tried to calm himself down, tried not to breathe in the water, all to no avail. He was going to die. He was going to die in the same well that Victor had. At least John would find his body. "Sherlock are you ok?" John's voice came from somewhere, Sherlock couldn't find out where. It sounded weird due to the water in his ears. Sherlock didn't answer. He couldn't. He knew he shouldn't but he wanted to close his eyes. He was tired. Really no one would care. No one really loved him, they just left him, hurt him, even after he had given up everything. Why couldn't they just love him? Sherlock grimaced. Why couldn't John love him? He opened his eyes once more time looking for the moon. There was something over the well though, blocking his vision. A trickle of moonlight shown through. It was pretty. Sherlock smiled a little. He closed his eyes and gave into the darkness.

John ran through the woods. "He's almost gone Johnny boy," Euros giggled, "just like poor Victor. He just ran out of breath. He got a good pirates death though. And he gets to see Victor again. Really I'm doing him a favor."

John tried to ignore her. He had found Sherlock's old notebook where he had tried to find Victor. He was able to understand it enough to have a small chance of finding him. "You know he was always sad. He had such sad eyes."

She was talking about him in the past tense. Was he already dead? John shivered at the thought. He wanted his best friend alive. Not a corpse. He couldn't go through that again. But Sherlock was sad? He didn't see it. Why would he be? "You're probably so stupid that you don't even know why he was sad. Why wouldn't he be? You never cared. He gave everything for you and you left him for a woman. Though I do see your point here. They are rather pretty."

He froze. The revaluation came crashing over him. Sherlock loved him. He really did. And John would never get to tell him. Tell him he loved him back. He gripped the notebook and ran through the pine needles and leaves. He nearly tripped over a root that stuck out of the ground but caught himself on a small tree. He emerged in a field. The house looming in the distance. He groaned. He had been going in circles. Fear filled his mind. He looked around flipping through the notebook again. He flipped to the page with a map on it. It showed all the places Sherlock had looked and the places he hadn't. John's eyes came to hover over the well. There were a couple of notes surrounding it. "Mummy says to stay away." "Mycroft threw my spyglass down." "Need to check."

John glanced to his right there it was.  "Oh, he's passed out now. Might want to hurry then."

John sprinted over and slid the top off. He took his flashlight from his belt. Shining it down the dark hole. "Sherlock. Oh, thank god." John whispered.

He looked around for something he could use to climb down. There wasn't any rope. He jumped up and down trying to think of an answer. He tugged at his hair. The police would be here soon. Not soon enough though. John took a deep breath and climbed over the well edge. He climbed down slowly. A rock came loose as he climbed. He made a split-second decision to jump with it. Luckily he missed Sherlock. John took a deep breath before diving under. He wrestled with Sherlock's restaurants. Luckily they were already rusty and broken from Sherlock's and Victor's attempts to be free. He shook his head and returned to the surface to get some air. He needed something hard, something that would. He grinned and ducked back underwater. He sifted through the dirt and bones on the floor before he found what he needed. Sorry about this, John though.

He used Victor's skull to bust the worn chains. Sherlock floated upward and John went after him. He grabbed his waist and held him upright, above the water. He heard sirens and helicopters. He let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. John checked Sherlock's pulse. Weak but there. He smiled. "It'll be alright,'' John said and kissed Sherlock's cheek.