Pride

To all my LGBTQ+ friends who are missing pride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John shuffled his feet, a bit nervous. His friends had dragged him to a pride parade. A little while ago he had come out as bisexual. His friends were supportive. In fact, they had dragged him to pride. Of course, they had all abandoned him the second they arrived. Something about straight and cis not being allowed at pride. John had rolled his eyes and asked what girls they were seeing. They had run off. Now John was nervous on the side of the road surrounded by screaming people. He felt someone bump into him and he turned. A curly-haired boy with a rainbow flag around his waist. "Sorry." the boy said, backing up a bit, looking scared.

John cocked his head. The boy looked scared of him. And he looked awfully familiar. That's when it hit him. "Sherlock?"

Sherlock froze. "Hi," he whispered.

John grinned at the familiar sight. "Oh, it's good to see I'm not the only one from our school here. Honestly, I was about to leave."

Sherlock looked confused, his eyebrows scrunching up. "You're not here to hurt us?"

John's eyes went wide and his mouth opened. "Of course not."

Sherlock rubbed the back of his head. "Sorry you're just on the football team and well," he paused looking away from John. That is when John noticed the bruises on his face. They had been covered in makeup but you could still see them if you really looked. The foundation had been smudged by some rainbow makeup. "They don't like me."

"I can see that,'' John growled, his face scrunching into one of distaste. "Tell me who did it?" he asked, voice-changing to a softer pitch. He didn't want to scare the curly-haired boy.

Sherlock let out a breath and rolled his eyes. "Anderson and his cronies."

"Welp," John put his hand on Sherlock's shoulder. "He's gonna be running laps for a while."

Sherlock smiled a bit. His eyes scanned John, John felt as though he was being ripped apart by them.  "So your bisexual?"

"Yep, and you?"

"Gay."

"Is that why he?" John asked, pointing to Sherlock's cheek.

"Yes." Sherlock interrupted.

John smiled. He didn't know much about Sherlock. Just rumours. Not very nice ones. He was known to be extremely smart and kind of an asshole. They stuck together through the event. John had found out why everyone thought Sherlock was an asshole but really he just thought that he was brilliant. They danced at one point, Sherlock was surprisingly a good dancer. John had never really gotten to know the boy, but he was glad he had the chance now. Sherlock was fascinating, with a love of bees and science. He listened when John talked about his friends and even could trow in the offhand comment or joke. John was slowly falling in love with Sherlock's eyes. It seemed there was a rainbow just in them. Often Sherlock would start snapping in Johns's face after John got lost staring into them. After the event was over Sherlock was covered in rainbow glitter and John had pink, purple and blue stripes down his face. At the moment they were sitting on a bench laughing. Sherlock was giggling and blushing while John pushed him gently on the shoulder. "Wow, I didn't think I could have that much fun."

"Neither did I," Sherlock whispered.

John turned to him. "I would like to get to know you more," John said.

"I don't believe your friends would appreciate that."

John reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. "Well, their idiots, here."

He handed the paper to Sherlock. "Your number."

John blushed. "Call me?"

Sherlock stood up and winked. "Of course."

John was left on the bench in shock. He had a feeling that he was going to see more of the young genius.