fifty-six.

When it became darker and everyone was sure to be asleep, (Y/n) stayed up. She was watching the front lawn through her sensing and waiting for the two boys to congregate in the courtyard.

She had changed from her sleep attire into a black hoodie and shorts, paired with a pair of black slip-ons that she hoped would quiet her steps as she tailed them. 

Finally she saw the two meet and she went out onto her balcony quietly, jumping over the edge and onto a small piece of her steppingstone. She kneeled onto it, gripping the edge as she navigated high over them--enough for her to see them but for them to have a difficult time to see her. 

Let's see what's so important they had to sneak out at night, she thought as she gripped the edge tightly, her hood blowing down as she flew through the air. 

The two went to Ground Beta, where they had their first combat training

The two went to Ground Beta, where they had their first combat training. (Y/n) got onto the top of the building across to watch them, squatting behind it to hide herself but to also be able to hear and see them. She decided not to use her quirk since the two were so familiar with it and could possibly notice the slight navy blue glow. Most of the conversation was quiet, a word or two unintelligible at times.

"You got your quirk from All Might, didn't you?"

Those nine words were the clearest thing (Y/n) had ever heard. When she thought about her ideas, they were loosely connected, it was like something that came from a conspiracy theory channel. But when Bakugo had asked it, it seemed like the fog had cleared and she was able to see the light perfectly.

Bakugo continued, the words becoming clearer after that one question but (Y/n)'s thoughts continued to swirl. Bakugo wouldn't have brought Midoriya to a significant place for no reason, right? They could've had this conversation in the dorms after dark, when everyone was asleep. So why there?

When Midoriya didn't deny it, (Y/n) just turned around and sat against the ledge, her back leaning against the wall. They were going to fight because the one person they admired the most chose Midoriya over Bakugo. She just couldn't stand to see two of the people she's known forever act like this. What went so horribly wrong that they ended up this way?

Maybe this is my fault, she thought as clenched her fists. Maybe if I hadn't distanced myself from Katsuki and Izuku then I could've slapped some sense into them. If I hadn't been such a wuss, this would've never happened! These two wouldn't be picking a fight after everything that happened. Why did I leave? 

Tears began to roll down her cheeks as she stared up at the stars, looking for peace or some sort of balence.

That was when she heard an explosion, (Y/n) shot her head up, standing up and leaning over the side of the building. She used her sleeve to wipe away the tears, squinting as she tried to see what had occurred through the gathering smoke. As it cleared, she could see Bakugo and Midoriya fighting. 

Another huge explosion occurred, shattering the windows on the buildings and shaking the ground. (Y/n) was about to lose her balance when she help on for dear life to the edge of the building.

Bakugo then screamed about why Midoriya wouldn't fight, and that was when (Y/n) decided to step in. As she was about to launch herself over the edge of the building to run down, she heard Bakugo scream, "And I destroyed All Might! But it's because of me that he ended up losing his power!"

This made her stop. She asked herself, Does he really think that? Has he been crying like I have at night? Can he not get the image out of his head? 

Is this the breaking point? 

"If I had been stronger, if I protected (Y/n) and I from getting kidnapped by villains, it wouldn't have happened!"

They had felt the same way about protecting each other this entire time but hid it. After this, they had a lot to talk about. 

(Y/n) continued to listen to Bakugo scream about how he had this replaying through his mind over and over again. He had been through so much and failing the Provisional Licensing exam was the breaking point.

(Y/n) felt like she should've been there for him, as a shoulder to cry on or some pillar of support. But with training, they hadn't had that much time to actually talk about what had happened. Heck, they had barely started dating when it happened.

"I refuse to be your punching bag, Kacchan!" Midoriya yelled after landing a kick on him. "Let's go!"

(Y/n) watched as the two fought, her body not letting her move to stop them. 

What should I do? she asked herself as explosions and lots of kicks occurred. I can't let them keep fighting. Should I step in? Should I use Energy to pull them away from each other? Is there anything I can do? 

These thoughts raced through her head and she knew what to do but just couldn't will her body to move. As time flew while these thoughts raced, a huge explosion suddenly occurred, knocking (Y/n) backwards and to the ground. Instead of immediately getting back up, she laid there and looked at the stars, listening to the two people she had grown up with fight so hard.

Maybe I'm too late. Maybe there's nothing to do. I should just let them fight it out--it is most likely the only way for Katsuki to get out how he's felt this entire time. 

Then, as if a reflex, (Y/n) shot up and jumped over the side, onto a steppingstone, seeing Bakugo about to launch himself into the ground with Midoriya. In that split second window before they hit the ground, she created a forcefield under Midoriya to try and break the fall so neither of them would get hurt. The second they hit the forcefield, (Y/n) created a bubble around Bakugo as he bounced back from it. 

He rolled around in it slightly, getting on his hands and knees as he looked down at Midoriya through the navy forcefield. The dust cleared and Bakugo was able to finally distinguish what had stopped him from that final move. 

"(Y/n)?"