44. The First Meet - 1

PREVIOUSLY IN JILY RETURNS

Remus is reappointed as the DADA professor and Harry gets ready for the first DA meeting

________________________________________

Professor Chowdhury had given Harry the permission to use the Transfiguration Classroom as it was the biggest one. He had told everyone to assemble at 7:30 pm. So, after dinner, he told his friends that he's going to practice for some time before the meeting. He reached the classroom and banished the benches to the very back of the class. He then placed cushioning charms around the classroom so that no one gets hurt while practicing.

Professor Flitwick was the first one to enter the class. Harry saw him and greeted him. "Hello Professor. Thank you for accepting my offer for being the sponsor for the DA." The professor waved off the thank you. "No need to thank me, Mr. Potter. It was your effort to create all the plans for the group. And here you are. As you had asked, this is the list of spells that are taught in all the subjects that require a wand from first through seventh year. If you want me to help the students with a spell that you haven't learnt yet, feel free to ask. I'll be sitting over at the corner by the door so that there's no one on the way."

Harry blushed at the praise and was about tell something to his teacher but was interrupted by people coming into the class. Looking at the time, he realized that it was 7:30 on point. Hence, he went to shut the door, letting in the last few stragglers. He shut it and pulled out the parchment that had all the names.

"Welcome to the first DA meet. First of all, I'm going to call roll for two reasons. One, to make sure everyone who signed their name is here and no one who is here did not sign; and second to start learning all of your names." He read the names and was pleased that no one who didn't sign was there.

He folded the paper and put it back into his robes. Looking around at everyone, he noticed that they had factioned themselves according to their houses. Taking another quick look, he started "I know that this club is quite unusual for many reasons, not the least of which is the collection of those who signed up. There will be no favouritism, regardless of the houses. I want to make sure that all of you keep that in mind. I'm not so naïve to believe that all of you will become close friends after tonight. But I expect that there will be no hostilities. You will perform the spell I ask you to perform. Those who have mastered that spell, or have mastered it quite quickly, can help me by tutoring other colleagues who are struggling a bit. But if anyone attacks someone unprovokingly, that person will be asked to leave."

"But why are you willing to teach them?" Michael, a third-year Gryffindor asked, glaring at the Slytherins, which was noticeably the smallest group.

Harry had expected some members to ask some questions like these. Looking at Michael, he asked the third-year a question of his own. "If I ask you to define a slytherin, how would you respond?"

He answered "That particular house is the house that has produced the maximum number of death eaters. They're all evil and can't be trusted with anything!" There were quite a few nods around the room at the statement. Harry then turned to the Slytherins. "Blaise," he called the Italian fifth-year looked up at him. "How would you define a Gryffindor?"

________________________________________

CONTINUED IN NEXT CHAPTER