Peanut Butter And Jealousy

Alex's POV

My mind lazily takes in the lush forest around me as my wolf's paws steadily beat against the ground. It seems like lately I've been spending more time as a wolf than a human, my Beta duties the only thing keeping me from neglecting the human portion of my mind and life completely.

I enjoy the wind whispering through my fur, letting my body soar to overcome the large tree interrupting my path. My body is aching more than usual with the threat of my incoming Rut. This is not going to help my already slim inclination to talk to people, despite my rank within the pack.

'You're being irresponsible.' I roll my eyes inwardly at my wolf, Tobias, for his unasked for opinion. Instead of continuing the argument that's been raging for weeks now, I force his conscious out of mine, shutting his negative thoughts off for the time being. But I can't help but sullenly admit that he's right. The past three weeks have not been pretty for me or those close to me, and it seems the hole left in my chest has expanded and worsened in the absence of my mate.

Being human just means being around all the already Mated Wolves who unknowingly taunt me with their ability to have already found their lover. Every supernatural on Earth has a one, regardless of species. If your lover dies or they, Goddess forbid, decide to reject you and the Goddess' wisdom, you have the option of getting a Second Chance Mate. The one who broke the sacred Mate Bond however, is not granted another and must carry the pain they inflicted on their Mate for the rest of their life.

Though, like many rules in life, there are some exceptions.

Most wolves find their Mates within a few days of turning 16. The rest find them before the age of 18. But I just turned 20 a month ago, still without signs of a mate out there. The Moon Goddess is a loving and relaxing deity that takes her worshipers into consideration. She doesn't separate Mates with half the world in between them, but rather stick them in the same city, if not the same pack.

And yet I still haven't found my fucking Mate. Although the words are thought in anger, I can't seem stop the whimper that erupts from my wolf's chest, calling out to our hidden lover.

As I keep a steady pace getting closer and closer to the end of our territory where I usually turn to head back, I feel a presence in my mind, asking for permission to enter. I open my link to accept the Wolf into my mind. As I do, I immediately recognize the mental presence of my Alpha and best friend James.

     'Alex,' I hear him speak up inside my head. the note of authority detectable in his voice even now.

     'James,' I answer, annoyed that my run will more than likely be cut short.

      'We need something of importance, please come to my house immediately.' This makes me worry. James is at his house rather than the main pack house where he usually is this time of day, leaving worries at work, so him needing help is a bit worrying. I instantly complete a 180 to head back to my friend of thirteen years, picking up my speed as to not waste any time.

     'I'm on my way now. five minutes tops.' I reply back picking up my speed even further. His presence disappears from my mind and I run through the things I may have neglected today in my rush to let my wolf out and get from around people. I quickly reach James' house in record timing, shifting from four to two legs without breaking stride. I can't help but chuckle at the rumor that follows my species throughout the city and the world, claiming our clothes ripped from our body and made us naked in our shift between realities, between that of our human and wolf. Our clothes travel with us, sparing us from the embarrassment of such an act.