Pasts And Friends

Alex's POV

     I let go of Chloe's tail, forgetting completely about the blush that comes with teasing him, instead my mind is on my sister and my parents and the bullshit they all had to endure.

     "You don't have to tell me." Chloe says nervously, grabbing my hand and putting it back in contact with his body, this time on his thigh. I'm so caught up in the past, my body doesn't even notice that he initiated contact or that he's staring at me with such sadness. "Please don't be mad I asked." He was whispers.

     I wish I could comfort him, but the images flashing in my mind are too new. Too raw. But maybe James was right and if I talk about it to someone who wasn't there, it would help. I think about passing but maybe I need this.

     "I'm not mad Chloe, we're supposed to be learning about each other. And I'll tell you, but it's not the best story." I admit, glancing over at him.

     "It's okay. I've had my fair share of unhappy stories." He says back sending me a comforting smile and with it, I have the strength to lean back against the couch and tell him the story that had shook my world for good.

     "When my sister, Briana was five, her parents were beaten and killed in the human town next door. At first everyone thought it was a planned murder because her family is close with the Faerie Court. But we soon found out it was a hate crime instead, all because the color of their skin." I feel tears well up in my eyes, remembering the night my parents sat me down and told me about the story that was plastered around the world. Chloe gasps but otherwise stays silent as I continue.

     "My parents have always been very inclusive and supportive towards anyone, they didn't care who it was. They always preached that if they weren't living the others life, then what say did they have in it? But not everyone thinks this way. It's sad really, we live in a world where the supernatural and humans were able to come together peacefully and yet some humans still have a fucking problem because of the complexion of their skin." I'm livid by the time the last sentence has left my mouth, Chloe's fingers that had found their way between mine are the only thing holding me down. Holding me together.

     "Once my family heard that Briana didn't have anywhere to go, they immediately acted and within a few days she was apart of my family. The fear in her eyes that I saw the first day she came home....I felt sick. She was five, she should've been worried about who to play with outside before the street lights come on, not worried about being killed whenever she leaves the house because someone doesn't like the way she looks.

     "She grew up so strong though, and my parents became more active than ever before. Going to Race riots, Pride month, any and everything they could support they did. And as kids, it made me and Briana so proud to know our parents were out their fighting for us. For the world." My voice cracks, knowing what I had to say next. I hated it. Hated how weak I felt. Hated how vulnerable I feel right now.

     I pause for a moment, trying to get my trembling voice and hands under control but I can't. Much to my surprise, Chloe gets on his knees on the couch and crawls over before settling in my lap. He wraps his arms around my body before leaning into my chest. I breathe a sigh of relief I didn't even realize I was holding. My arms come up hesitantly to wrap themselves around his small warm frame, scared that doing so would make him move away, but all it does it cause him to hold me tighter.

     I tuck his head beneath my chin, not wanting him to see me like this. So broken and sad. I think about stopping the story here but I can't. I've already started the it and I have to get the rest out.

     "Three years ago, my world came crashing down drowning my sister and I for months when the unexpected happened. My sister and I had stayed home for this protest. We had end of year tests that needed to be done. Our parents travelled to partake in a protest against police brutality. Some white supremacist had seen them and followed them into a mostly empty street."