𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"Did you do it, son?" 

Ares had never been the most benevolent of fathers, but this was getting out of control. Taehyung bit his lip as he stared down at the pure white marble that made up the floor of the gathering place of the gods- the place most mortals would call Olympus.

There was an answer to the question his father had just asked him. Of course there was an answer- it was just that type of question. But the answer wasn't the right one. Staring up at the cold, stony faces of all twelve gods of Olympus (actually, Hades had shown up at the last moment, and was currently leaning against a pillar in the corner, so there were technically thirteen), he dreaded the moment he would have to deliver that answer.

And that moment was fast approaching. There were seconds before either he would speak or his father would tear the word out of his throat.

Ares's eyes were cold and dark, and yet filled with flames- literally. His irises glowed with a cold light that could only come from sparks and could only burn on the flesh of corpses. This was his father- the cruelest, darkest, and most cowardly of all the Olympians. So cowardly and afraid of his own sons that he sent his most beloved child out on a mission he knew Taehyung would never be able to complete.

Because how could he?

Taehyung was one of the few demigods who had been alive for millennia, seen things and knew things that only came with the horror of time passing you by, sweeping up everything else in its path and leaving you behind. He knew the horrible, terrible fate of mortals- in the end, they would be soaked in by the dust, their souls handed over to Hades as he decided what they deserved.

This was what happened to mortals.

He knew.

HE KNEW AND HE STILL COULDN'T DO IT.

Precious seconds were flying past him as he tried to formulate the answer to his father's question in his throat. He had done everything else his father had asked- with glee, sometimes. He was his father's son. He couldn't help the bloodlust that coursed through his veins, he couldn't help the wild, maniac grin that appeared on his face when he sat next to his father in his blood-soaked chariot, watching mortals kill each other for petty matters that they would never be able to solve.

He couldn't help it.

Perhaps it had been Athena who meddled with his mind this time, perhaps it had been Demeter. Perhaps it had been nothing but Taehyung, who, finally, in a moment of weakness, forgot that mortal's lives were made to end.

And so there was the answer.

"No,"

Olympus fell into uproar.