1. A Beautiful Spy

"And from the chaos of her soul, 
there flowed beauty."
~ Louise Alexandra Erskine

Dan Andrews was unfamiliar with covert operations

He pulled at his collar, which was a noose that kept tightening as the seconds passed.

He kept looking around the room nervously, like he was waiting for someone to jump scare him. His gaze shifted over to the beautiful, young secretary who sat in front of him. She wasn't a face that Dan had seen in that office before. The name on her desk said Tara Smith. She smiled at him, sweetly.

Instead of smiling back, he turned his attention to the young woman who sat next to him, to see if she was as nervous as him.

She was the picture of ease. She didn't gaze around the room in fear, but with the curiosity of an explorer. She wasn't sitting on the edge of her seat, but rather leaned back, one leg crossed delicately over the other. Twirling a piece of her dark brown hair in her fingers, she smiled back at Tara.

Dan opened his mouth to say something, anything to her, but the intercom on Tara's desk interrupted him by beeping.

He watched as the young blonde, who was probably more eye-candy than a functional employee to her aged employer, reached out and pressed a button.

"Mr. Andrews, Mr. Burke will see you now," she said.

He got up and turned to the brunette. "Uh, wait here," he said, vaguely to her and she nodded with a smile that could have sedated an angry elephant.

He walked past Tara into the large office that stood behind grand oak doors. Outside the large window panes, dusk had fallen, becoming the backdrop to the man who occupied the room.

Terrence Burke sat behind his desk, leaning back, his fingertips touching. The man himself and the large oil rendition of his that hung above his head watched as Dan crossed the room to him.

Dan cleared his throat. "I see you've gotten yourself a new secretary," he said.

Terrence laughed. "She's gorgeous, isn't she?" he asked, "The other one was getting a little bit clingy with her questions and need for commitment. She had to go. Terra isn't like that at all."

"Tara," Dan corrected, pulling at his collar once more, "Her name is Tara."

Terrence shrugged. "All the same. Anyway, we're not here to talk about my beautiful woman. We're here to talk about yours. Did you bring her?" he asked.

"Yeah," Dan nodded and pointed to the door, "She's outside."

"And is she as hot as her pictures?"

Dan cringed hearing someone as old as Terrence calling such a young woman hot. "Even better. She's gorgeous," he said, truthfully.

"And no one knows we're behind this?" the older man asked.