48. I Quit

"You have been praying
 for so long for

the strength 
to outlive the pain
 they inflicted on you,
that you have forgotten

 – you are already 

strong."

~ Nikita Gill

Scarlett was a woman with a purpose

She was fearless.

She couldn't be stopped.

As she rode back to the city in the town car that she had hired, her exact course of action filled her mind. It didn't matter what they would say.

She was powerful.

She was in love.

Her heart fluttered every time she thought of Ace's words.

I'm in love with you, Sky.

She floated on a feeling that she had never felt before; a feeling of being loved.

She was on a high of everything that Ace had given her and it had made her stronger.

When she saw the building, which housed the offices of Terrence Burke, she didn't look at it with trepidation. She looked at it with determination.

When it loomed over her, she glared back at it, unafraid.

When she walked in through the front doors, down the corridors and to the elevator, she held her head high and crowds parted for her.

She wouldn't let anything stop her.

On the floor of Terrence's office, she walked up to his receptionist's desk.

Since she had been there last, so long ago that it felt like a lifetime, Terrence's receptionist had changed. Tara had been replaced by a pretty blonde girl named Gemma.

When Gemma told Scarlett that she could go in, she leaned over her desk. "Get out of this job and get out now. Your boss is a serial adulterer and a massive douchebag," Scarlett said, firmly.

She straightened, taking in the stunned expression on Gemma's face and walked into Terrence's office.

The door flung open and Scarlett stepped in, looking deadly.

Inside the office, Terrence sat at his desk speaking to Brad.

Scarlett glared at the both of them.

Terrence raised his eyebrows as she approached. "Well, Scarlett. We're meeting in my office, just like you asked."

"I didn't ask you to invite this slimeball," she said, pointing disgustedly to Brad.

"It's my office. I'll invite who I like," Terrence said, making Brad look incredibly self-satisfied. "Now, I hope you called this meeting because you have information for us."