25. Aren't You A Softie

"So beautiful,

 she makes

 autumn

 jealous."

~Sean Bates

Scarlett knocked at Ace's hotel room door twice and waited, rocking on her feet

He flung the door open a few minutes later, with a slightly irate expression and a raised eyebrow.

Scarlett smiled her sweet smile, took a step forward and gently slipped Ace's pen into the breast pocket of his shirt.

"You know, Ambrose, I'm sure I pay you enough for you to afford a pen," he said, looking at her pointedly.

Scarlett's smile turned deceivingly innocent. She rounded her eyes that had a mischievous twinkle. "But I like your pen so much better."

Ace's gaze didn't leave her eyes and Scarlett stared right back, her smile still on her face.

"Have you finished your book of crosswords already?" he asked, turning and walking into the room.

"I'll definitely finish it this week. I can get another from the airport when we go back."

Scarlett followed him, looking around his room. It was almost exactly hers; it was a double room with two beds, a small seating area, a desk; the only thing that was different was the positioning of the furniture. She lowered herself on to the small couch, still looking around, as Ace leafed through and open document.

"How come you have the same room as me?" she asked.

Ace held the page he was turning by the tips of his fingers and turned his head to look at her. "What?"

"This room," Scarlett gestured to the space, "It's exactly like mine."

Ace let go of the page and turned to her, leaning one hand against the desk in his room and one on his hip. "Well, yes, Ambrose. Hotels tend to decorate their rooms in a similar way. Helps maintain costs, and give a theme to the whole place."

Scarlett gave him a look. "That's not what I mean, psycho," she said, using one of her strange nicknames for Ace. He never seemed to mind.

Ace raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to go on.

"Well, I would have assumed that you would have gotten a presidential suite for yourself, or something equally fancy," she said, "That's what normal bosses do, I think."

"Are you unhappy with your room, Ambrose?" he asked.

Scarlett shook her head, readily. "I love it. It's perfect. There are two beds. Everything is great. Especially that little balcony outside that looks over the garden."