46. Like You

"She was
beautifully
out of place. 

Sometimes I believe,
 she intended to be like 
the moon 
during the day."

~ D. R.

Scarlett heard a sigh so loud that she wondered if Ace had channeled the spirit of a mother trying to guilt her children into doing something; not that she would have any experience with a mother's guilt, though

She looked up, all the same, in the direction of Ace's office from whence the sound had come. Walking out of the kitchen with a box of cookies, she stepped into the office to see Ace, slouched in his chair, a glass in his hand, swirling it around slowly as he stared into the distance.

She put the cookies on the console table and walked up to him slowly, wondering whether she was disturbing his train of thought.

From the moment that Michael had left, Ace had been in the office, pouring over the various documents in the file, even handing some of the ones that he thought she would have good input on to Scarlett.

He had kissed her when she gave him good ideas. He had even mentioned how they seemed to make a good team.

She had gone through their draft plan and given him such a good idea that he had stopped and stared at her like she was a godsend and almost trashed the documents that Michael had brought. Scarlett had laughed and shaken her head. She had told him to shelf her idea and focus on the one he had all the information for, for now.

It had been three hours since he started and Scarlett had watched him slowly get tired, but he didn't mention it, he didn't show it, he tried to hide it. He just rolled his shoulders, rubbed his eyes and went on.

Whenever Scarlett wanted to mention it, he said something to her, making her forget until the next time he stifled a yawn or rubbed his blurry eyes.

Even Scarlett was deadly tired. It had been a long day. She had even showered and changed into a cozy set of pajama shorts. She could only imagine how tired he must have felt is his dress shirt and pants.

Leaning down, Scarlett look the glass out of his hand, making Ace look up at her.

She put the glass on his desk, looking back at him. She took his hand and pressed her fingers tightly around his.

There was that unfathomable and stoic expression on his face, which made Scarlett wonder what he was thinking.

"When I left, not ten minutes ago, you didn't have a drink," she said, softly.

Ace only stared back, wordlessly.

She tried to give him a small smile. "You never even drink it, Ace. You just pour it into the glass and hold it, like it's a prop."