2. That Babe from the Other Night

"There's no money in poetry, 

but there's no poetry in money, either."

~ Robert Graves

Ace Hardwood was fully dressed and held a cup of coffee in his hand as he read the morning newspaper, seated at his kitchen island

The sound of high-heeled shoes clicking against the tile made him raise his eyes from the words of his paper as last night's female companion came into view.

She smiled at him, tossing her curly blonde hair over her shoulder.

"Good morning," he said to her, in a low voice, making the girl giggle, "Would you like some coffee?"

He nodded to the pot on the counter.

The young girl came forward, her handbag clutched in her fingers, and stood right next to him, pressing herself against him, trying to earn a kiss. "I could think of something else I would like more," she said, seductively.

Ace laughed and fluffed out his paper. "I told you that last night was strictly business, Claire," he said, resolutely, "We had a nice time."

Claire looked around as Ace went right back to reading his paper. "Should I just leave?" she asked, batting her eyelashes at him, wanting him to refuse.

"I would prefer you left before my housekeeper came," Ace told her, smiling. He lowered his paper. "Do you need some cab fare to get home?"

The young woman straightened up and rolled her eyes. "I don't need anything from you, Ace," she spat and stomped over to the door.

When Ace heard it slam shut, he picked up his paper and went back to his morning routine. The morning tantrums of his various one-time female companions no longer fazed him.

The only things that interested him were his business and the ways to keep it relevant and profitable; probably the goals that made him a billionaire at such a young age and what made his company so notable. It's also probably the reason that Ace's personal life had none of the flourishes of his professional one.

There was no time or consideration in his life for anyone who did not directly have a positive influence on his company. This meant that most of his conquests were purely physical and transactional in nature; there were never any feelings involved and it was always one night.

There was that one exception, but the young business mogul doesn't think about that anymore.

There was also no time for lateness in Ace's life and everything and everyone around him had to adapt to that mentality; he did not like to be kept waiting.

Ace walked into his office sharp at nine in the morning as the usual routine went and his secretary, the motherly woman who made sure his professional life was on track, got up.